MJ's little flock

It's been an unusual day for the hens. Usually if I'm home, they're out of the run and roaming the garden. Today, I'm home but the painter needs the gates open so the hens are confined to their run.

It's given me an opportunity to see how they use it.

There's a lot of lounging around and snoozing under the roost, which is news to me. I thought all the snoozing occurred under the jacaranda. There's been a lot of scratching and nibbling on whatever gets turned up, especially from Ivy and Katie. I'm delighted the run is providing snacks! There's also a lot of snacking from the poly pipe feeders.

Katie hasn't yet opened a treadle feeder, although she eats from them if others have opened them up. She has started putting her feet on the treadle while eating so I hope it won't be long before she takes the final step and starts opening the feeders for herself. Same with Peggy, but she hasn't Katie's appetite.

There's also a lot of dust bathing going on, which is good to see. The gritty builders sand I recently put in there is a big hit.

There's a sparrow in the run :hmm I'll have to reinstate my closures of the sparrow doorways.

The hens are very calm, very contented. I'm glad their run is working out for them :D

New photos of the veranda!

IMG_2024-05-15-15-05-08-527.jpg

IMG_2024-05-15-15-05-32-774.jpg

IMG_2024-05-15-15-05-50-970.jpg

IMG_2024-05-15-15-06-15-751.jpg

I'm on a sick day to recuperate from my head cold and Blossom is making sure I don't get out of bed. Such a good nurse.

View attachment 3832309

The painter is making great progress! I'll take more photos after he's gone home for the day.
Hope you feel a bit better after the rest day.
I love it. It feels like a mix of vintage and contemporary vibes. It must feel very satisfying to finally see your vision for the veranda come to existence.

Hope you feel a bit better after the rest day.

I love it. It feels like a mix of vintage and contemporary vibes. It must feel very satisfying to finally see your vision for the veranda come to existence.
It's come a long way. The whole house has. When I first moved in there were no working toilets, no hot water, no stove, no airconditioning, and it was under years of filth.

It's starting to look graceful again and I love it!

It's come a long way. The whole house has. When I first moved in there were no working toilets, no hot water, no stove, no airconditioning, and it was under years of filth.

It's starting to look graceful again and I love it!
It truly is. The thought of moving into a house with no working toilets is a little off putting. I assume they were rapidly repaired.

Toilet tax
Hattie was sweeping the porch for me the other day. Such a helpful lady.

20240511_164445.jpg

It truly is. The thought of moving into a house with no working toilets is a little off putting. I assume they were rapidly repaired.

Toilet tax
Hattie was sweeping the porch for me the other day. Such a helpful lady.

View attachment 3833642
Plumbing was done in the one week of my life when I had two homes at my disposal. By great stroke of luck, I had sold my little flat to an acquaintance who rented it back to me until the big house settled, which dragged on for several months. I booked the plumbers and locksmith for day 1 of owning the big house. A week later, the plumbers were finished and I moved out of the flat and got a painter in to paint the interior of the house. Then the floor guy did the floors. There were a myriad of other fiddly jobs too, like re-organising the cellar and re-mounting the towel rail, some of which are still on the wait list. After a year or so, I could afford to have the bedrooms carpeted. The hens played their part, they still do, because they're extremely good at eating weeds. Hens love soursobs, which are notoriously resistant to human-style weeding. I have none left in the backyard, an infestation in the front yard. Once the front yard is safely enclosed, the hens will be regularly put to work. They're extremely skilled at eating the tiny bulbs of soursobs.

Back
Top Bottom