Moat vs tunnel

kproffer

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
SE Missouri
I’m planning to add a chicken moat or tunnel around my garden, trying to decide which to go with. Can anyone advise why one would be better than the other? If the moat is the recommended 5-6’ wide and high do the chickens fly out? What about foxes or hawks getting in? Do tunnels pose any issue being inaccessible?

I have, but most of what I’ve found is theorizing or first day of installation. Nobody seems to follow up on how well it’s working or what they wish they had done differently. I was hoping that someone would share that experience
I've never had a chunnel so hopefully someone that does will chime in.

I’d think you’d have better luck with garden pest reduction by just letting them in your garden. Bugs don’t stick to the perimeter of your garden. I was concerned about my flock destroying everything, but the are surprisingly considerate. Even sticking to running down the paths when returning to their run. LOL. They steal a few low hanging cherry tomatoes or blackberries and maybe nibble a few leaves I’d prefer they leave alone. But I let them have an hour or 2 every evening in my 50x80 garden and have no regrets. I just plant enough extra knowing i’ll lose some stuff to them. It’s a small price to pay for all the bugs they eat, including every last japanese beetle last month. Then again, my garden is not going to win any prizes, but I’m Ok with that. Just something to consider before going to the trouble of a tunnel or moat.

Oh I need to add some new pics and some info dumps on best strategies. My 3rd building is up (a turkey shed). One more building to go, completing the most, but I need to build a fort for my kids first.

The short version is I love the way I did my hoops though. Long, yet easy to build, sturdy, relatively cheap, etc.

I have, but most of what I’ve found is theorizing or first day of installation. Nobody seems to follow up on how well it’s working or what they wish they had done differently. I was hoping that someone would share that experience

Read the thread linked by @Krugerrand ... I need to post some general updates and latest photos but i am more than happy to answer questions in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom