Mobile compost bin(s) in the chicken run

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I have 10 chicks in a 13x13 fenced in grass area. I don't know how long the grass will survive, but I am trying to keep it green as long as possible. I have been feeding grass clippings to my chicks in addition to the grass they already have in the run. I am also feeding them kitchen scraps when available. I have noticed that the chicks are not very interested in their chick starter feed now that they spend most of their time out in the grass chicken run. They eat less than half the chick feed when they were in the brooder. The chicks are 10 weeks old today.

I have been thinking about adding a compost bin system inside the chicken run. However, I really don't want to set up a pallet bin with the compost killing off all the grass underneath. My idea is to make a mobile composting system/bins elevated above the grass, so the grass can continue to grow, and the composting system could be moved around the chicken run so as not to kill off any one spot. Also, if elevated about 18 inches off the ground, it would provide shade underneath for the chicks.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so if someone has tried such a mobile compost system for their chicken run, I would be thankful for any advice.

Currently, I put the grass clippings and kitchen scraps in a rubber feeding pan and move the pan everyday. As needed, I rake up the scratched out material and will repile it in the feeding pan. It's not really a compost bin, but the chicks love it just the same. I think they would really go crazy if I improved it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

You know your circumstances and goals. I don't. But what I've found from decades of composting is that a BIG pile -- rather than one that could be moved -- is far more effective. I would also imagine that even a small pile -- at least one big enough to generate any heat and real decomposition -- would be pretty heavy and difficult to move. What's more, composting happens not only in the pile but well beneath it as well.

My piles are set up on what was once adobe clay "soil". I can now dig down a couple feet from ground level with a trowel. If you're doing composting to improve soil that's an enormous advantage to give up. Besides, there's a good chance your chickens will dig and scratch your grass up before long anyway, compost pile or none.

How about setting aside an area for your composting and allowing your chickens into it to forage and setting aside a separate area to be lawn that the chickens can admire from afar?

They eat less than half the chick feed when they were in the brooder. The chicks are 10 weeks old today.
I'd keep them on mostly chick feed and do the composting somewhere else.

there's a good chance your chickens will dig and scratch your grass up before long anyway, c
Yeppers!!

You know your circumstances and goals. I don't.

I don't disagree with anything you posted. I suppose I should have stated my goal(s). My idea of the compost pile inside the chicken run would be to offer a place for the chickens to dig through some material to find food. I am not trying to make compost for soil improvement with this pile inside the run. I have large compost piles out by the garden for that. After the chickens rummage through the "small" compost pile in the run, I would dump that material into the compost piles by the garden for finishing.

I was thinking something about the size of a 4 wheeled garden cart, maybe just a bit bigger, and that is where I could dump some grass clippings and kitchen scraps. If the sides were high enough, then the chickens could scratch up the material without spreading it all over the place. I would just add to the pile until it was full and then maybe dump the whole thing into the large compost pile by the garden.

From what I have been reading and watching on YouTube, the chickens like a compost pile and as the food decays, it offers more for them to scratch through and eat. Sounds like a good idea, but in my case, I just don't want to kill off the nice grass that is in the run.

Because of aerial predators, my 13x13 run is covered with bird netting. If it works out well this year, maybe next year I will expand the run and dedicate an area for a "proper" compost pile, on the ground, where I would leave the compost there until ready to use as soil amendment or mulch. I am aware that a true compost pile would need mass to heat up, and thus probably be too heavy to move.

After trying to explain my goals and rereading my post, maybe I'll just use my wire mesh 4 wheeled garden cart as my mobile "compost" pile. It has high sides so the chickens could scratch a lot and still the stuff would stay in the cart. I could easily move that cart every day or so. And it is elevated enough so the chickens could go underneath it for some shade. Could be a good temporary solution as I try it out and see if it even works. Maybe give me more time to refine my thinking on the project.

I'd keep them on mostly chick feed and do the composting somewhere else.

I keep chick starter in a feed tray for them at all times. However, since I moved the chicks out to "pasture", they just don't eat as much starter feed anymore. I was expecting a small decline in feed consumption because they have fresh grass available, but thought that might be offset by the chicks getting bigger and eating more. As it is, they only eat about half the feed they did just a few weeks ago. They seem happy and healthy, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you think it is too much for me to be giving them additional grass clippings and kitchen scraps - given that their chick starter feed consumption is down so much?

I’m following your thread in case anyone has a genius idea.

About half the threads I join is just to read what others have to say. There are many experienced people here on BYC forums with great ideas that are tested. I hope to learn from their experience and maybe avoid a few failures on my own.

This is my favorite link for inspiration on compost bins. I think that if you had one that is raised up on a stand you would not even need to move it because only a small part of the frame touches the ground. In any event, this should help spark your imagination.

https://homesteading.com/compost-tumblers/

Thanks for the link. In fact, I have a compost tumbler half built - well I actually have the barrel, the hinges and hasps, and the 2X4s to complete the project - but it was put on the back burner until my coop build is finished. I am anxious to try a compost tumbler, but the coop had to be done first.

The main goal for my compost pile inside the run idea was to provide a space for the chickens to scratch and feed. A compost tumbler, with it's closed door, would not work for that. But the idea of raising it above the ground and not killing the grass is what I was after.

Do you think it is too much for me to be giving them additional grass clippings and kitchen scraps - given that their chick starter feed consumption is down so much?
A moderate amount of kitchen scraps a couple times a week is fine,
but IMO they should mostly be eating an appropriate chicken ration for optimal health and growth.
I'd also beware of giving too many fresh grass clippings, depending on the type of 'grass' and the length of clippings they may clog their crops gorging on them. And piles of fresh grass clippings can grow a nice batch of molds, not the best idea for a chicken run.

the compost pile inside the chicken run would be to offer a place for the chickens to dig through some material to find food.
If you want to set up an environment where macro organisms will habituate for chickens to eat, think about a good mix of plant materials, in a variety of sizes and shapes, mostly dry stuff but some fresh stuff too. @blackdog043 (I think) has a good example of that in their run.

but in my case, I just don't want to kill off the nice grass that is in the run.
Yeah, one can hope, but it's highly unlikely that your turf grass will survive chicken feet and beaks.

Back
Top Bottom