1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mock trial victory!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Q9, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Our mock trial team (all homeschoolers) went to regional competitions yesterday in Raleigh. We won all three rounds, had both best attorney AND best witness every round, making our team one of the top eight in the state of North Carolina! State championships are coming up at the beginning of March, so we'll be headed there soon, too! A lot of prayer went into this one, as did a LOT of practice. All the other teams were public & private high school teams - ours is only the second homeschool team in North Carolina.

Guess us homeschoolers aren't so dumb, after all. [​IMG] State competitions, here we come!

2. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats Q9. I hope the team makes first place.[​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Congratulations! I did mock trial when I was in high school and had a great time with it. Glad to see that it is something homeschoolers can be involved in!

4. Q9

Q9 General Headache

It's a ton of fun - I had doubts about it at first, since it's a good bit of extra work, but it is SO worth it. One of the guys on our team comes from a family who seems to be perfect at everything, and he proved it. [​IMG] Three rounds, two where he was an attorney, one where he was a witness. He got 2 "Best Attorney" awards and 1 "Best Witness" award. He's really good, and yet somehow doesn't have any arrogance at all. I can't wait to go to state, even if we lose. It would be so awesome if we made it to nationals. The national competition is being held in New Mexico, I think.

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, You home schooled kids are just another encouraging reason Lillian will home school. [​IMG] Congrats!

6. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    In high school, we had a mock trial and I was the defendant.

Treating it like it was the "real world" I bribed the jurors. Everyone got a dollar, if I was acquitted. It worked! I walked. But I did get sent to the principal's office, where he called my parents. Dad was home and when it was just him and the principal, the conversation was very different. They both thought it was HILARIOUS and a very good lesson.

I was told not to do it again, though.

I am glad your kids are able to learn how the justice system works. I think it is valuable and would be a great field trip for kids to see a court case, IRL.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Congratulations, and good luck at the State [​IMG]

Nitrous, you remind me of Captain Kirk and the Kobyashi Maru [​IMG]

8. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I was not designed to fail. Nor shall I learn the humility of defeat! The old war adage of "If you find yourself in a "fair fight" you did not plan well enough." Applies to so much. Fair has it's place :) But not on the Kobyashi Maru!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by