Modern chicken raising advice for which you found alternatives?

bakingem

Hatching
Jun 9, 2020
I learned about the idea of the mama chicken heating pad right before we got our first chicks 3 weeks ago. It has worked so well, and I love not having to mess with a heat lamp. In the last week, I've been putting our chicks in a little covered fenced area with their food and water and letting them explore the grass, find bugs, etc. Then I read in several books that maybe that isn't advisable yet, but it makes sense in my head that if they were with a hen, they would probably follow her and do what she does. Maybe I'm wrong, but everyone seems happy and healthy so far.

So I'm curious, what other ideas that are standard chicken raising "rules" have you found alternatives to or have you successfully opted toward a more natural, older method that worked well?

I don't candle or excessively supervise broody hens. It does help if they have some game background and are well-housed.

This lovely lady brought me a delightful surprise on day 25 or 26!! It's been rather cool around here.

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_115907.jpg
    IMG_20200609_115907.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 2
Throughout my 50+ years of raising chickens I have always had the philosophy to allow chickens to just be chickens. I have tried not to overthink things too much and have been fortunate to have had healthy, productive flocks in my lifetime. My Dad and Grandpa Shook who got me started utilized common sense methodology and that is what I have done. What you are doing with your chicks sounds fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom