Modern game bantams...

Should have added... they are really sweet and gentle birds. They do have to be dubbed for showing so not sure how old little sis is but make sure she is up for the task. Bill Wulff is over your way and breeds red pyle that are awesome.

Quote:
I would recommend Modern Games to almost anyone. Many children use them for showing because of the small size. I'll list what I consider the pros and cons of Moderns:
Pros:
Small size
Fun personality
Easy to train for showing
Don't consume large amounts of feed

Cons:
Need to be kept fairly warm in Winter (Mine do fine in an insulated coop with no extra heat, but it only gets down in the 20's here.)
Occasionally the roosters are mean (I've had two roos. One would attack my leg, but not ever peck me when held.)
Not good layers
Have to be dubbed for showing. It's not pretty.

I would say if she wants them, they would be great for her! My 7 year old son shows them. He used his rooster last year in showmanship competition and won first place.
Just my opinion, but I love the Lemon Blues.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh well I didn't know this. That is something to keep in mind. How is fertility? Are they hard to breed. I don't want to get her discouraged. She like Seramas too but I'm trying to steer her away from those because of fertility and hatchablitly reasons.

They are not hard to breed and I've had excellent fertility. They just don't lay much. I've collected about 6 eggs this Winter from 4 hens. Of course, they will lay much better in the Spring and that's usually when you want to hatch anyway.
12477_img_2174.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh well I didn't know this. That is something to keep in mind. How is fertility? Are they hard to breed. I don't want to get her discouraged. She like Seramas too but I'm trying to steer her away from those because of fertility and hatchablitly reasons.

I can't give you an honest answer on this... mine have only been laying for about 1 1/2 months now and so far fertility is spotty (2 roos & 2 hens penned together). The hens have been laying pretty consistently... 1 egg every other day.

Quote:

I can't give you an honest answer on this... mine have only been laying for about 1 1/2 months now and so far fertility is spotty (2 roos & 2 hens penned together). The hens have been laying pretty consistently... 1 egg every other day.

lol.png
We keep posting at the same time.

Quote:
She's 12 and has shown birds before but is really interested in really taking on the responsiblity of breeding and things things but I will of course butt in and try to tell her what to do LOL! I've explained to her a couple of times but she said she still wants to do it. Its not like I'm going to go in with both feet. She's 12! she'll change her mind a few times.

It has been very cold here in WV this winter. I have their tiny little hut right near the house, so it is sheltered. Then, when it is really cold, we keep a tarp over the whole little coop.

Of course I have to change their water daily as it does freeze.

They seem to be fine and happy, so this is working for me.

Remember, if you show them, the roos have to be dubbed. I won't do this to them, so I cannot show.

In one sense they would be great for a young girl--they are VERY friendly and I can pick them up any time.

Catherine

You know, I have not seen ONE egg EVER from my four hens. I kept wondering if they were eating them!

So maybe they will start laying in the spring. If spring ever comes...

Catherine

Quote:
good because most of her birds don't know what grass feels like because she carries them everywhere! she had one rooster that rode around on her shoulder while she collected eggs! The child is a animal magnate!

Back
Top Bottom