Modern Games, Need Special Housing?

PineBurrowPeeps

Eye see you...
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere...
My son aquired a gorgeous Birchen Modern Game pullet yesterday at a poultry show and she is the most loveable little thing we have ever seen. She looks so dainty and delicate that she's living in a large wire cage in the house with a Silkie for company because I know theres no way she'd be able to handle the cold we have right now.
Up until yesterday when I saw Modern Games in person I thought they were ugly. Now this little pullet has charmed me and I'm very into the idea of getting more of them down the road. But what kind of housing do they need? Can they be kept in a regular coop like other chickens?
She's just so tiny and everything...

My first reaction was the same as yours. But they sure do charm you dont they? Well mine are bantams and they do stay with the other bantams in the summer. They like to roost high and have the ability to fly to the top of the shed and roost on the rafters. The roosters are pugnacious though. So that is one thing to keep in mind, if you have other roosters. And, they do not do so well in cold weather. I think they would need about 40* or higher for a temperature. I only have a few so they stay in the house in the winter. I have made some nice pens in the shed too, with light bulbs for heat and plastic covering a 3'X4' cage and that is usually warm enough for them. I do enjoy them an aweful lot though. Very curious and talkative and sweet.

Was that one of the birchen bantams at the Congress? I had never seen them before and really liked them too. They seem more like butterflies or fancy beetles! They are all legs, just gorgeous.

I know nothing about bantams and these guys do look dainty but they probably are pretty sturdy. Good luck with her, I bet they are fun.

Here are some birchen cockerels

IMG_1949.jpg

Quote:
Yes, it was one of those! The woman who owned her actually gave her to us for free when she found out that my son is in 4-H! We were stoked!
She is something. Turns out, today I looked up the woman who gave her to us and she's got some REALLY nice Modern Games, some Super Grand Champions, and so forth...
I adore the noises she makes. It's not your typical chicken noise at all.

I have a group of birchen moderns and a group of brown red moderns. I dont do anything different for them than I would do for my standard size birds.

One group is in a metal shed that is 8X10. I have cages built along the sides of the shed. The cages are solid plywood all around except for the front which is 1X2 turkey wire. They are on thick shavings. For the winter, I cover the front with a piece of thick plastic, I just drape it down over the front and on nice days (over 30 degreees) I lift the plastic up so they get fresh air.

The other group live in a 4X5 coop which looks huge with them in it. I also have plastic around this.

When it gets below 30 degrees at night, I feed all my moderns a handful of corn around 4pm to help warm them for the night. This is the second winter I have them. So far, they have had no problem with the cold. This past week it got down to 10 below zero.

All in all, they are more hardy than you expect. However, i would not put one all by itself outside.

I have birchen, brown reds, and bb Reds modern game bantam. they run with my other bantams during the winter non-show months. Standard roos can break their legs if trying to breed. Mine moderns live in the barn with no artificial heat and it got down to negative 5 degrees. I find them to be more hardy than my d'Anvers.

OEGs are very hardy little birds, so I imagine modern games are too. I was at the Congress too! And I think I know the lady you're talking about. She's very kind and helpful and has really nice modern games.

I would love to see a picture of your little girl. Yeah I like the way they talk too. Kinda like....ber,,ber,,,ber,,, in sentences with a really sweet voice. I was talking to my sister on the phone and she heard her in the background and commented on how sweet that chicken sounded.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom