Modification suggestions

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
I think I finally found a prefab coop that is the right size for my four ladies.

What modifications do you see that need to be made? I figured modifications were a lot easier than trying to build a coop, after my 6 year old reminded me when I told her “I could figure it out, I’m an educated woman”, that I’m “educated in numbers, not building stuff”. I want my girls safe and happy, so all suggestions are welcome!

PS, I live in central NC (relatively few snow days, mild winters compared to other parts of the country, and hot summer months).

I think I finally found a prefab coop that is the right size for my four ladies.

What modifications do you see that need to be made? I figured modifications were a lot easier than trying to build a coop, after my 6 year old reminded me when I told her “I could figure it out, I’m an educated woman”, that I’m “educated in numbers, not building stuff”. I want my girls safe and happy, so all suggestions are welcome!

PS, I live in central NC (relatively few snow days, mild winters compared to other parts of the country, and hot summer months).
Please read this thread.
How many chickens do you plan to keep?
ALL pre-fabs are built out of cheap material. They have to be in order make a profit even at the exorbitant prices they charge for what you get. I've also never seen a single one that has an attached run in the correct area proportions to the coop.
If you are getting 6 or more birds, I would suggest you convert an old shed into a coop. You will get WAY more bang for your buck that way. If you have nothing on your property that will serve the purpose, check out FB Marketplace, CL and contact local shed builders and ask if they ever remove old sheds from properties where people bought new sheds and see if you can procure one that way.

Last edited:
How many chickens do you plan to keep.

because of where I live, I have to be very careful about the atheistics. I’m not supposed to have chickens due to the HOA, but my neighbors have said they’re fine with it. That said, I’m just sticking with the four I have now. From what I’ve read, this coop exceeds the minimum amount of room they need. I realize the materials may be cheaper, but I’ve also read people who have had success modifying prefabs.

because of where I live, I have to be very careful about the atheistics. I’m not supposed to have chickens due to the HOA, but my neighbors have said they’re fine with it. That said, I’m just sticking with the four I have now. From what I’ve read, this coop exceeds the minimum amount of room they need. I realize the materials may be cheaper, but I’ve also read people who have had success modifying prefabs.
That coop is NOT large enough for 4 birds unless they are bantams.
And be forewarned that just because your immediate neighbors say they're fine with it, doesn't mean they'll stay that way or that some other busy body won't turn you in. By then you will be attached and it will be very heart breaking to have to remove your birds.
I would suggest you first try to change the ordinance preventing you from having them and THEN get a flock.
Good luck.

Last edited:
What are the dimensions??
The first thing I see is that those roosts aren't roosting bars, they're tripping bars. Chickens will sleep in your nesting boxes and your eggs will be covered in poop, and they won't be able to use the coop space. Raise those up above the boxes. Those latches also don't look very strong, or secure.

That coop is NOT large enough for 4 birds unless they are bantams and even then the run is too small for them.
And be forewarned that just because your immediate neighbors say they're fine with it, doesn't mean they'll stay that way or that some other busy body won't turn you in. By then you will be attached and it will be very heart breaking to have to remove your birds.
I would suggest you first try to change the ordinance preventing you from having them and THEN get a flock.
Good luck.
Ughhhhh... I misread the measurements. Well, thanks for saving me BEFORE I took it out of the box.

Welcome to BYC. :frow from the Sandhills.

If there is a prefab made that not only enough space but enough ventilation for our brutal summers here in central NC I am not aware of it's existence.

My Little Monitor Coop is designed to meet all the minimums for 4 hens and, if I say so myself, has sufficiently nice aesthetics to be trimmed up to suit most neighborhoods. The Monitor Roof gives the generous ventilation that hot summers require and has roof overhangs that kept it dry inside through Hurricane Florence. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

I have to agree that keeping chickens against the HOA rules has gotten many people into trouble after investing a lot of time, money, and emotional attachment in chickens that they had to get rid of. :(

Back
Top Bottom