Modifing Old Sportsman and Building Hatcher Questions.

Folks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Palatka
First of all thanks for reading.
I bought a Sportsman incubator off Craigslist that the auto turner didn't work. Found out it was a $4.00 roller switch and it turns every 2 hours like clock work.
Since mine has the double wafer thermostat setup on it I want to update to electronic for less variance in temp.
Now at TSC a Little Giant foam incubator cost $45.00 here in FL and is electronic. I have one that has only hatched one batch before I got the Sportsman.
Has anyone tried this adaptation? Seems like it would be simple to do and is cheaper than buying the $78.00 thermostat from GQF.
Any suggestions or comments would be great.

Now for the hatcher. Would exterior plywood work without chemicals from the treatment killing everything or is there something safe to coat regular plywood with that would be safe?
I'm going to use the incubator as my pattern.
Also pondering an idea for heating and a fan. We have 2 small heaters that are about 8 to 10 inches square that sit on desk tops and consist of a heating element and 2 speed fan. My wife uses one when she bathes our little one and it's probably about 6 years old now. I would open it up and wire the fan to stay on constant on which ever speed would work and feed the power to the heating element from a thermostat. From a Little Giant for $45.00 or a wafer set up.
Sportsman came with 3 wire bottomed setting trays and could use one as a pattern to make hatch trays.

Are the Sportsman models made from cabinet grade plywood and painted with special paint to protect it or what?

Thanks,
Brian from Palatka, FL

I tryed to use a small electronic thermostat out of a small incubator the problem
was the heating element used to many watts and the thermostat started smoking
so if you make sure it will handle the wattage of the heating element it should work
good luck . God bless
Greg

The little giant thermostat is not rated for the wattage required for a cabinet incubator . Could be used to switch a relay but still not a good ideal. The electronic thermostat from GQF is a great thermostat very reliable , stable and accurite. The wafer thermostat is also acceptable. As far as the fan , It takes a fairly powerful fan to circulate the air in a sportsman size cabinet . If the fan is to weak, the temp won't be consistant top to bottom.

I did not finish reading the hatcher part i have built three of those on the same design as the sportsman
and i used the same heater you are speaking of wireing the fan on constant and placeing the thermostat
in line with the heating element you can also you a electric themorstat that go in a water heater they only
cost around 10 to 15 dollars at home depot are lowes if you have those stores around where you are
Greg

Buy the GQF electronic thermostat..it's worth every single penny! I have the electronic one in mine with a wafer backup..I just set some Emu eggs, at a temp of 96.7F..and it does NOT move from that temp all day long. I love it.

Dan

Quote:
Yep, wafers are way more reliable than that Chinese junk that LG calls a thermostat. This is coming from a guy who just had an electric thermostat blow up!! Well spark for a few seconds and then pop...

Back
Top Bottom