Modifing Old Sportsman and Building Hatcher Questions.

i have it set to turn off at 100° but to turn back on at 99°... i have a digital thermometer and it tels me ambient temperature inside the bator... it fluctuates from 98-101°... but i do have two 1" holes on the top of the bator for fresh air... if i cap them off, it will hold to 99-100° perfectly... but i like the fact i have two giant holes for fresh air... no problems with humidity either, but i have to be right on it... a couple of times a day...

also... my room isn't stable... at night it hits 45° and 80° days... so there is no way i would've been able to have like an hovabator with a wafer in there or water heater thermostat... my room is a non insulated garage really... but it's cool, when i build a bigger bator, i'm going to have it in the chicken coop where it should be warmer at night, but i'm going to use a controller anyways...

hth...

edit: i forgot that i also have a water wriggler thing with another thermometer in is and it stays at 99.5-100° all day... so i guess when it comes down to it, i get a -/+0.5° egg temperature fluctuation with this incubator... i'm happy with it... best 100bucks i've ever spent...

Last edited:
I did the same thing with the LG thermostat & it was no different in there as it was in the Styrofoam box, mine now lays to rest in the dump where it belongs, the only good thing about the LG is the heating element & turner & not to crazy about them, stick with the wafer !!!!!!

Last edited:
My dad and I hatched back when the only affordable incubator was the big galvanized round one from Sears. That was the late '70 early '80 and I was just a kid then. We hatched about a dozen times or so and then he and I grew apart as I became a teen.
This old incubator got wet and the hard board stuff in it rolled up and the plastic viewing windows just fell apart. About 3 months ago I dug it out and plugged it into a GFI plug in just in case it was bad.
The thing came right on began to heat after all that time. Wafer still worked and switch still good. It heat to a point and the wafer cut it off.
Since I was a teen and now have a teen daughter myself that is just interested as heck with hacking and raising chicks my father and I have worked out most of our differences. Shame it took so long.
But dad's suggestion was that wafers have worked for many many years and have kept a lot of breeds alive.

You know what, he's got a point.

Cars were even easier to work on with simple mechanical things like points that work for many years too.
You didn't throw things away when they broke, they were so simple that you fixed them. Just like a simple wafer and pop switch.

Back
Top Bottom