Mods, PLEASE LOCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
I am in near PANIC mode! This was an omen of the worst sort!

This afternoon my black Lab was hysterically barking for a time. I went out to see what had him so upset and it's VULTURES! We have an 80+ foot oak that was killed by a double lightning strike- it has shed many branches, but there are some stubs left. It's only 20 feet from the front porch.

There were eight vultures sitting on the branch stubs, all staring at me and the dog! They wouldn't leave, no matter how much I shouted and waved things at them. The dog was going crazy but he was cowering at the same time. Not his usual agressive behaviour.

I finally got the camera and despite the shaking got a few pics. I want witness in case it's me that goes! Couldn't get them all in the pics, but I scared them off a bit- or at least made them fly lazily off. They weren't scared at all!

I finally managed to go to the store- there are no dead animals anywhere around. WHY are they still here??? When I got back they were all in the tree again!

14937_buzzards1.jpg

14937_buzzard_omen.jpg

I an SO freaked out. I called DH and told him to be extra careful, but what if something happens to one of us???? I can't bear to think about it!
hit.gif

What does this mean?

Last edited:
It probably means they're taking a break on their migration south....or do you have them year round? They're only here from about March thru the beginning of October. I doubt that it means anything bad......we have them hanging around here all the time in the summer.

They know something you don't. Like something out there is dead. If vultures were a bad omen we would be in even worse shape than we are. We have lots of vultures. Some times more than others. They are not an omen. They are just big black ugly birds.

They are birds.
I see them all the time around here in 10+ flocks.

I saw atleast 25-35 circling the sky down the street the other day.

Freaky aren't they!!

I can totally relate. Across the street from my house is all woods. But standing out amongst the trees is a tree that I say looks like one of the ones from the Jungle Book. The day we came to do a walkthrough before buying the house, we looked across the street and that tree was filled with around 10 Vultures. That was over 5 yrs ago and we have all been fine since. But I can't say I didn't have a passing thought about not buying the house!

Yup, What Katy says. We have a flock that live here in the mountains most of the year and do fly overs all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom