Mods- please move to "Geese"?- Growing Goslings!

They didn't have BL chicks (pullets) available until later, so no, I didn't order them. I'm not known for being patient, so I ordered just the Pilgrims for this shipment, then later on I'll get the BL chicks or egg to hatch them myself. I'll definitely post pics when they arrive and as they grow up! Thanks all!

Last edited:
I just got an email today from Ideal saying the babies will be shipped 1 week earlier than when I asked for...3/11/09! That's only 2 weeks from now when they get here! Aghhhhh doing the happy dance!
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Yep. Gotcha....
smile.png

I already posted on our local freecycle looking for any kiddie pools, bathtubs, sandboxes, doghouses, and dog crated (the plastic ones) to help make swimming places and shelters around my yard. I've got a 6 ft stock tank in my basement for a brooder box along with a 5 ft cardboard box beside that if I need 2 brooders.
( I've got hatching chicks from my incubator next week, then over the weekend into the following week from my other bator, shipped chicks next Wednesday, then 3 test duck eggs (from my ducks) hatching the week these goslings arrive. So I'll have quite an assortment of little babies in that brooder box. If any of them are too little (or big) I can put them in the other box.)
I have our old whelping box from our Golden Retriever 13 years ago that I can put together out in our yard for them to play in on the grass. Many feeders and waterers for chicks, so let me know if I've forgotten anything? I have growgel being shipped with them.
Can they eat the same med.starter food as the chicks (w/ amprollium added.) If not, how do people feed them altogether?
Should I add Vitamins and electrolites to their water too?
So many questions...sorry.
Lisa

Wow lol slow down you still have 2 weeks lol just kidding
wink.png

OK I feed 20% chicken stater(not 24%) They do really well on this.

Keep an eye on your geese. They sometimes out of curiosity pull on the chickens and ducks wings and I have had them pester a duck, so her feathers didn't grow right. Remember they will also be bigger and very clumsy, you don't want them to cause spraddel leg in a chick because of there clumsiness. I learned it's easier to just have them in their own brooder, but people have sucessfuly put them with other birds.

hmm I can't think of anything, your very prepared. sounds like your busy too lol.

Julie

I tend to be very busy, move pretty fast and get addicted to whatever i like (only good things!)....life is too short to just sit around and do nothing.
roll.png
although I can't wait to go on vacation and just lie in the sun and read!
smile.png

I'll look at the protein content on my bag of chick starter and see about that. Also will watch everyone once they are all together and make sure no one is pulling on each others' feathers or wings. Thanks!
Lisa
I checked the new bag of chick starter and its 19% crude protein...think that's ok for all of the new babies (chicks, ducklings and goslings?)

Last edited:
hey I was reading this thread and wanted to let you guys know that my waterfowl order from Ideal came in Thursday. All arrived in good condition and thriving today. We Ordered 1/3 ratio of African and Roman Tufted Geese and 2/6 Black Indian Runner and Crested Fawn and white Runner Ducks. We set them up in a kiddie pool the first night, but they were almost getting out of it by morning so we took in my hubbys small flat bottom boat into the shed and have them in there now and they are doing great!
big_smile.png

They arrived! The PO called me before 7:30 am today and said my chicks were there. So I left right then to go get them and they were my goslings! I knew that's what she meant by chicks- I didn't want to correct her. All 5 are so adorable! There are 4 females and 1 male (or at least that's what I ordered.)
See them? How cute?
babygoslingsandducklings006.jpg

babygoslingsandducklings002.jpg

babygoslingsandducklings007.jpg

babygoslingsandducklings003.jpg

We're in love!
love.gif

Lisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom