Moisture in Coop/Shed

Regarding your siding problem: assuming you've built the structure of the coop on a sensible foundation of some sort rather than just wood lying on the ground, I would agree with some of the above posters that the siding problem looks like splash as much as anything.

As long as the pad is graded properly (does not tip water towards bldg), a splash problem could be mostly-solved relatively easily by 1) install gutters on the building (might have to build prosthetic drip edges, or add flashing, or both), with downpipes leading well away to a lower area; and then also b) put 'something' along the lower edges to protect against any residual splashing. 2' wide plywood leaned against the wall at an angle would probably do a fair bit of good, once you had gutters on (although it'd blow away, I'm not suggesting it as a real solution, just as the sort of situation you're looking for)... you'd have to see what you could think of there.

Regarding moisture in the coop: I'm not surprised, with virtually no ventilation and especially if it has a gravel floor. First you need need NEED quite a lot more ventilation, I'd suggest aiming close to 1 sq ft per chicken (more in a hot climate). Triangular vents up under the overhanging roof peaks would be a start but I honestly think you'll need more. Where you put them is up to you (myself, I'd put some as areas cut out from the wall starting 3' or so above the floor, for summer use, and some additional ones high on the walls - you may have to build little porch roof type overhangs to prevent rain blowing in, since you have no roof overhang to work with).

Second, if your floor is gravel I'd suggest putting something over it. In this situation I might almost argue for rubber horse stall mats (they are not cheap and must be installed carefully over a very flat very well tamped gravel floor, but they will provide a pretty effective barrier to rising moisture). Big square concrete pavers might be an option if stall mats are totally out of the budget. If there is any question at all as to whether the 0floor is high enough to avoid flooding, fix that first.

Good luck,

Pat

you all are wonderful! Thanks again. Never thought about splash at all. It is also good to hear about roof overhang and lack of gutters because that was one of my original considerations. The building itself has a wood floor inside which we treated with polyurethane years ago, and it is on a stone pad (not sure how deep it is though) with the typical skids that i assume are treated. I am still concerned about drainage from the slope of my neighbors yard, his compost etc and proper airflow under the building. Pats ventilation page was one of the first topics I read here when I joined and I plan on revisiting it. Good reading.
thanks again. I've missed being here.....

well, I got something accomplished on the south wall
21969_dscn8686.jpg

as in this double duty door which was originally just for the run that is inside it. The chickens have since taken over the entire shed so i don't really use that run anyway the door can now swing into place of one of the barn doors to add to my ventilation and it has recently be hardware clothed in addition to its chicken wire that but still planning on more ventilation. so far, the north wall and the east wall have no venting. I am thinking of doing the same type screen door on the front of the shed but havent committed to it yet. Just did. hahah.

we had a couple 90 + degree days here lately, too hot too soon! luckily not the humid kind.

still planning on making some more holes window or such just not sure what/how

my black copper and mutt
21969_dscn8695.jpg

some more ventilation...
the window is 2.5 feet by 3 ft and now both sides of barn door have hardware cloth. DBF is still kinda freaked out about cutting holes out of a perfectly good wall....hahah.

21969_dscn8791.jpg

also have materials for splash guard that was given to me by a buddy, and some recycled gutters.
gonna be doing some more venting also.

(alot of work for 3 hens. I think I should justify by adding more chickens. And a duck)

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, that's sure a big difference! Good job! I bet it is much pleasanter in there now, yes?
smile.png

(alot of work for 3 hens. I think I should justify by adding more chickens. And a duck)

I agree completely
big_smile.png

Have fun,

Pat​

yes, it is much better. Thanks! I had been keeping it open and letting the birds roam the fenced backyard, but now if I have to go somewhere and put them up - its good for the moment. DBF said why didnt we just build a coop to begin with? now he says that... ugggg... trying to make the most of what is here and already built! Still gonna do more.

DBF and I have different opinions on whether or not to have a run (I want one) or day tractor. I assume we would actually benefit from BOTH. I really would like a secure run more tho, since I can let them roam when I am home so I don't feel I need a tractor just yet. Not sure if I am winning him over or not, but I have shown him lots of pictures! The backyard is fenced for our dogs (who babysit birds while I am in the house) and I had previously had electric wire running on top for jumping dogs. So I have options but just none that I feel secure with just yet.

Back
Top Bottom