Moisture in the coop

Margaretgray

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
I have had chickens all of my life in south east Texas. I now live in upstate New York. This will be our first year here with chickens. We are having a moisture issue in our coop. We have an exhaust fan that I don’t have turned on but it allows airflow. We hadn’t had a problem with moisture until now. If I put 4 or 5 one inch vent holes on the opposite wall of my exhaust fan will that help? Should I put a dehumidifier in? I have to keep the water in their coop until spring. we have to redo the run fence. We had a tree fall on the run and unfortunately the ground is to frozen to easily dig holes for the new fence. Way to many predators to let them free range.

I have had chickens all of my life in south east Texas. I now live in upstate New York. This will be our first year here with chickens. We are having a moisture issue in our coop. We have an exhaust fan that I don’t have turned on but it allows airflow. We hadn’t had a problem with moisture until now. If I put 4 or 5 one inch vent holes on the opposite wall of my exhaust fan will that help? Should I put a dehumidifier in? I have to keep the water in their coop until spring. we have to redo the run fence. We had a tree fall on the run and unfortunately the ground is to frozen to easily dig holes for the new fence. Way to many predators to let them free range.
You should have ventilation that's not the pop door. If you don't have any, add some ASAP. I'd recommend having open soffits for ventilation.

You should have ventilation that's not the pop door. If you don't have any, add some ASAP. I'd recommend having open soffits for ventilation.
I do have the exhaust fan that is open ventilation. I am thinking I need more. I am assuming the sofits are open but not sure. The shed was on the property and my hubs was the one that put all the hardware cloth over all openings and I didn’t think to ask him if they were blocked or not.

I do have the exhaust fan that is open ventilation. I am thinking I need more. I am assuming the sofits are open but not sure. The shed was on the property and my hubs was the one that put all the hardware cloth over all openings and I didn’t think to ask him if they were blocked or not.
Pics?

CF07ADB7-6B46-41FA-9119-6C6B499F19BC.jpeg
Pics?

This is the exhaust fan we use during summer. It allows air flow even when it’s off.

Attachments

• 0528FA7C-8BD4-4B04-9DCB-5090E9AE8ED7.jpeg
    0528FA7C-8BD4-4B04-9DCB-5090E9AE8ED7.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5
How many chickens and how big is your coop, in square feet? You should figure on 1 square foot of 24/7 ventilation for each bird.

Just saw your picture. If that fan opening is all you have, you need more.

How many chickens and how big is your coop, in square feet? You should figure on 1 square foot of 24/7 ventilation for each bird.

Just saw your picture. If that fan opening is all you have, you need more.
There are 10 chickens and that’s what I thought. More ventilation. I just wanted to make sure before I go drill holes

Thank you so much. I am horrible about second guessing myself. I was raised on a farm but always had my dad and grandma to bounce the issues and ideas off. It’s a lot easier being a farm hand than it is the ceo that’s for sure.

Back
Top Bottom