1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mold - not really a predator or pest, but a threat non the less?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dehave, May 20, 2008.

1. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    I bought a used playhouse to convert to a chicken coop. It has some mold on the inside. I was going to remove the inside paneling but it is screwed on from the outside, but under the siding. I don't want to take the siding off. So can I wipe it down with bleach and paint it will KILZ primer? Will that be safe for the girls? I could then cover the KILZ with fresh paneling or paint. What's the best thing to do?

Just reading about Oxine... would that work?

Thanks

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I was in the Pest control industry for years and I use to buy a product called Bora Care w/ Mold Care. I am not sure where homeowners can buy it( E-bay and Do it yourself pest control companies). It works GREAT!!!!

This is a link to the MSDS with Nisus Phone number if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,

Ray

http://portal2.bynum.com/nisus/pdf/products/moldcare_label.pdf

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    You might also want to check for a leak in the playhouse/coop and make sure you have proper ventilation.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I would put bleach in a spray bottle and soak the area with bleach and let it sit for a while. Spray it again and wipe. You probably won't have to paint it with anything, but you should find out why it started...leaks etc. and fix the problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by