Mold on fermented feed

Dephora

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
183
183
70
Southern Oregon
Is this something you are having an issue with? More information could help. Mold spores are constantly floating around in the air, so the best way to stop mold growth on feed you are fermenting is to keep it totally covered with water. Once you feed it, as others have said, you shouldn't keep it out longer than 24 hours.
 

Annie2

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
3
4
8
Thank you I hope those are yeasts. I cover them with a net instead of a lid as I heard it could cause botulism on tight closure. The temperature at my place is more or less around 95F, does this help yeast growth?
 

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
12,542
23,270
792
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Thank you I hope those are yeasts. I cover them with a net instead of a lid as I heard it could cause botulism on tight closure. The temperature at my place is more or less around 95F, does this help yeast growth?
If you cannot tell if it's yeast or mold, best to toss it out, but the internet has pretty good photos for comparison.

I usually leave my ferment uncovered, but a net or loose lid is fine to keep pests out while air still gets in.

95F is quite hot, and feed will ferment very fast at that temperature. I would suggest doing no more than 2 days of feed at a time, and starting serving at 24 hr mark.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom