Moldy bag of feed

kathy32

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2018
Is eating a little bit of moldy feed bad for chickens? I bought a bag at TSC today, brought it home and scooped from the top of the bag to top off the feed bowl. The hens came excitedly and ate a bunch. I then dumped the rest into my feed storage bin and the bottom third of the bag was one big moldy clump that smelled terrible. I drove back to the store to get my money back, but for some reason didn't think to examine the food I'd put in their bowl. When I got back home and looked closely, they had eaten a good amount and sure enough there was mold on a lot of the pieces. Will this be bad for them? It's kind of too late I guess, I got a new bag and replaced all the food obviously. Also - I've never seen this before, is it common? They didn't seem overly concerned at the store about the rest of the bags?

When I used to have coturnix quail the same thing happened to me. One time two years ago I bought A 50lb bag of game bird feed and noticed it was moldy at the bottom of the bag when we were half way through it! 😲
The top was fine and no chunks, smell or mold was visible so I had no idea. I used to keep it in the bag while storing. I called the company and told them the lot number etc.... supposedly that never happens.
I can say that this has not happened with chicken crumble or any other brand I’ve used since. But that doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen again.
So I would say that it could happen to any brand or kind of pet food.
It doesn’t take much to throw off a dry food to where it will grow moldy.
I will say that I did not notice my quail acting any different and they were all healthy. Thank God!
Hopefully I dont run into that again with my little bantams I have.
Speaking of my bantams....
they are almost 6 months now and one has started to lay eggs!!
I’ve had 3 total eggs this week!
YAY!!!

Back
Top Bottom