Moles

Dora

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
I have a mole or moles living under my chicken house. It also goes in the house to eat. The chickens completely ignore it, even when it is right under them. Other than the expense of feeding the critter, will it do any harm to my chickens or eggs? I'd really rather not be outside trying to catch it in this cold weather.

It will report things to the FBI or CIA or whoever it is that Big Brother is...sorry I couldn't resist
gig.gif

Moles eat worms, grubs & the like I don't think it will hurt the chixn xcept maybe parasites & the mess they make with the dirt. I wuold think the chix would torture it if they found it on top of the ground. Surprised it will come out with anything around it, they are usually very cautious. J

Moles. The bane of my summer existence. In the spring, I get rid of them by putting pieces of Juicy Fruit Gum in their runs.

Latar in the summer, the only thing that seems to work is hoop traps.

I'm not sure how I'd do it if one was UNDER my coop.
Is there a visible run going out on the ground outside of the coop?

I hate moles! I love gardening and my yard is meticulously landscaped. they were on a little furry mission to destroy my flower beds and lawn last year. I wish my chickens would take them out!!! but I have been left to my own devices to rid them from my yard, and I take no prisoners....

IMG_5165.jpg

actually I think they are aliens sent from outer space to upset and confuse the inhabitants of earth so they can take over...
hmm.png

That looks like it would hurt... I would hate to be that neighbor kid that wants to play tonka trucks in your flower beds.....
roll.png

The best way to get rid of moles, as told by Mr. Roald Dahl:
Pick out several empty wine bottles and go scout out the mole's points of entry. Bury the bottles at these points all the way up to where the neck begins. (Think back to being a kid and blowing over the tops of empty coke bottles) When the wind blows, it will create a constant whistling that will drive the moles to insanity and cause them to pack their bags.

This has worked absolute wonders for me. You can't even hear the whistling unless the wind is really really going! Even a tiny breeze makes a sound that the moles can hear.

Thanks for the ideas (and laughs). I definitely want to take care of this before they breed and get in my garden. Previous posts were spot on - my chickens are going through treatment for bugs. Still not sure whether it was CIA (Chicken Insect Association) or FBI (Feral Burrow Institute).

Back
Top Bottom