Molt or lice?

Abbie79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Pineville, LA
So for two days we had a significance of rain here in Central Louisiana, and I noticed my 9 month old wet hen had huge bare patches on her body. I brought her inside to inspect her for injuries (we've recently had some attacks and stolen birds), but there were no injuries anywhere on her. The places where she is missing feathers is a healthy looking skin colored smooth area, but completely bare. Her chicken legs eerily resembled a store bought whole chicken. :( I didn't see any signs of irritation or lice, but I was mostly concentrating on looking for an injury. Today (two days later and dry chicken) I checked again, and I couldn't even find the bare patches. I'm sure they were there, and covered by fluff because feathers don't grow that fast....? Or do they? I swear she had fluff all over those previously bare legs. Again, checking for lice didn't occur to me, but I'm sure there were no egg clusters anywhere.
I rarely deep clean the coop since we are using the deep litter method. I just rake the top layer under, and add new shavings every other week. I only sprinkle with a dust for mites and lice when I move the coop. I put it in the coop, and in the area where they dust bathe. Probably once every 8 weeks I actually move the coop, and start the litter method fresh again. I simply rake out the existing litter and compost into the yard, which the chickens LOVE. Is this adequate for the prevention of lice in our warm climate? Should I be worried that she has lice or mites rather than molting?
Last question. I just bought, but haven't yet installed a Country Vet automatic flying insect and mosquito control kit. Does this combat lice and mites too?

Last edited:
No Country Auto Sprayer does not kill mites or lice. But Ivermectin will kill all of them plus intestinal 'badies' .. BE VERY CAREFUL using the Ivermectin. LIQUID only. GOOGLE "Ivermectin to kill parasites in chickens." MORE IS NOT BETTER. It is a great drug but only if used properly. Check the vent area for mites or lice. If they are on the chicken ~ they are in the coop. I would empty the coop THOROUGHLY clean and start over. Hope mites / lice is not your problem. They can be so nasty. Murphys Oil Soap in a pump sprayer (mixed with water of course) sprayed all over the coop will help. Let dry before returning chicks.

I'll go with Dee Dee 2. Ivermectin is what i use. I use liquid form. I don't inject it because of using such a small amount. It don't take much. I put just two or three droplets out the needle into the open beak of a full grown bird. Then I wash it down with water from a tube feeder with the squeeze bulb. Or I just mix it and use the tube feeder. This tube feeder is the one that's used to give children med's with.

I have used this several times over the years, and it worked fine. I repeat in two weeks to stop a second infestation.

Ivermec is sold for cattle, but is the main ingredient found in many products to control parasites like heart worms in dogs cats, ext. It is used for poultry as well.

I live in south Louisiana and deal with lice or mite's too on occasion. If only it worked for mosquito's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom