Molted hens no longer laying

dehowery

Chirping
Feb 13, 2017
alabama
Last year we had a Wellsummer that molted in sept. We figured she would not begin laying until the spring of this year (because of the winter). She never laid/layed another egg. This year we had a Gold laced wyandotte that went thru her molt in July/august. She looks great now and her comb has gone back to red BUT no eggs yet. I understand it can be up to 2 months after the molt that they won't lay, is that true? I am concerned that we will have a second bird who is not laying but still eating. We have 29 birds , 16 of which are 4.5 mos old. 2 of the Cinnamon queens have started laying little tiny eggs... I hope they get bigger !

It can be a while until all their feathers grow back in. But if they don't start laying after, such as the Wellsummer, there may be an issue with what you are feeding them (if they are not getting layer food as their primary food source), or some kind of reproductive disease, or old age.

How old are these 2 'not laying' birds?
The Wellie is concerning, might just have a 'lemon'.
The GLW might not quite be ready....day length has a role.
With that many birds, how are you sure they are not laying?

How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Could be crowding stress.

Do they free range?
Could be laying out in range area.
Might want to do a closer exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes, knowing what all and how exactly they are being fed might offer a clue.

How old are these 2 'not laying' birds?
The Wellie is concerning, might just have a 'lemon'.
The GLW might not quite be ready....day length has a role.
With that many birds, how are you sure they are not laying?

How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Could be crowding stress.

Do they free range?
Could be laying out in range area.
Might want to do a closer exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes, knowing what all and how exactly they are being fed might offer a clue.

OK They are not in a run they are free range. The food we are feeding is laying 18% food from our coop. The wellsummer is 2+ years old now. (yes I know about the 20% less laying per year) The GLW is about 1.5 yrs old. I am sure the wells isn't laying because when she did is was a huge speckled egg and the GLW laid med/large light brown eggs. Plus when either layed/laid they would be in the nest at least 1-2 hrs. Plus when both were in their molts we feed cottage cheese laced with ham. So we know they were getting enough protein & calcium. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom