1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting Age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    At what age do chickens start to molt? Do they quit laying eggs right before they molt. My 17 hens are 14 months old.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mjd, while 14 months seems a little early I wouldn't discount it given the weird weather. 18 months is usually the time for the start of the big molt.
    I noticed less eggs for about a week and a half before I saw signs of the birds molting.

3. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Thank You.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    my girls jsut finished their molt of the year they will be a year old on january 13th

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Thank you, I was curious about this also.

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    It CAN be really early too. I have an 8 month old pullet who began a molt 6 weeks ago. She stopped laying and is dropping feathers very very slowly. She was an early layer - at just 19 weeks. I posted, when she started molting, b/c she was so young and it seemed very odd to me. But apparently some pullets can have a mini-molt, too, I was told.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, some of mine had a mini-moult too. I thought they looked horrible, then they went thru the full blown 18 month molt and I found out how bad a chicken can look. [​IMG]

8. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    So, is this a winter activity or just whenever they get around to it? Also, how long will it last? Thank Yall so much for the help

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It seems to happen this time of year for whatever reason, I guess Mother Nature knows what she's doing. It can last a few weeks or a few months. I had some quick molters and others that stayed bare forever, it seemed like.
    Feed high protein snacks - cheese, eggs, black oil sunflower seed, some dry cat food, yogurt. Growing feathers requires alot of protein.

10. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:It seems to happen this time of year for whatever reason, I guess Mother Nature knows what she's doing. It can last a few weeks or a few months. I had some quick molters and others that stayed bare forever, it seemed like.
    Feed high protein snacks - cheese, eggs, black oil sunflower seed, some dry cat food, yogurt. Growing feathers requires alot of protein.

Thanks Again Miz Mule [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by