Molting and adding light

finestservice

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
I have 2.5 year old hens started molting in fall seemed to get there feathers back so I decided to try to add some light to try to get eggs moving again, added slowly after 2 weeks im up to about an hour in the morning and a hour at night. some of the same chickens started to molt again now and I am getting no eggs. any ideas

First off,birds don't really enjoy light,well when laying.They like nice shaded/dark coop to lay eggs in.
There are many possiblilities.
After molting birds can a few weeks without laying,and often are uncomfortable,to sit down in the box.
It could be the way daylight is.Birds don't enjoy laying at night or near the end of day.They like it when the suns still shining.

The birds could be stressed or sick.
-ThePRfan

I have 2.5 year old hens started molting in fall seemed to get there feathers back so I decided to try to add some light to try to get eggs moving again, added slowly after 2 weeks im up to about an hour in the morning and a hour at night. some of the same chickens started to molt again now and I am getting no eggs. any ideas

They may need extra protein and no extra light for a bit. When you do add light put it all on the dawn side, none at night. They may be very stressed from that, as suddenly, their light goes off, it's dark and they are frantic to get up on roosts they cant see. Major stress. make sure the extra light doesn't shine on the nesting area. Hope this helps for a start and nothing else is wrong with your girls :)

Thanks for reply light is only in the run gets them up about an hour before sun comes up then shuts off all day till an hour before it goes down and stays on for another hour after sunset. Nests are always dark. they have been going up to roost at sunset even with the lights on at night anyways. but I will try stopping the lighting at night and only add in the AM. Trying not to wake up the rooster too early though, I did have a sick hen last week very lethargic watery poop and laying in the run but was molting really bad loosing lots of feathers didn't like to be touched I was assuming that it was because of molt. all other chickens seem to be acting normal. I should mention I have never dewormed. I have 12 layers right now and getting about 8 eggs a week if im lucky.

Thanks for reply light is only in the run gets them up about an hour before sun comes up then shuts off all day till an hour before it goes down and stays on for another hour after sunset. Nests are always dark. they have been going up to roost at sunset even with the lights on at night anyways. but I will try stopping the lighting at night and only add in the AM. Trying not to wake up the rooster too early though, I did have a sick hen last week very lethargic watery poop and laying in the run but was molting really bad loosing lots of feathers didn't like to be touched I was assuming that it was because of molt. all other chickens seem to be acting normal. I should mention I have never dewormed. I have 12 layers right now and getting about 8 eggs a week if im lucky.

It never hurts to deworm but they just sound tired. Molting takes so much out of them and you mentioned they did it twice? It takes a ton of protein to regrow feathers, they are using it all for their feathers and don't have enough left to spend on eggs. They will get better, it just takes time. Give them some extra protein for a couple weeks to boost their recovery. Good luck!

is it normal for them to molt twice like this or could it be because of me adjusting lighting?

is it normal for them to molt twice like this or could it be because of me adjusting lighting?

Idk maybe, if you started adding light well after the days got short, It may have confused their circadian clock. Maybe they went through a hard and soft molt successively. I have never seen a double molt but I have only been keeping chickens for 8 years. Look it up though, it might be thing in some breeds or an indication of something totally different. Good luck :)

Idk maybe, if you started adding light well after the days got short, It may have confused their circadian clock. Maybe they went through a hard and soft molt successively. I have never seen a double molt but I have only been keeping chickens for 8 years. Look it up though, it might be thing in some breeds or an indication of something totally different. Good luck :)

O.K. I looked it up on this site and it does happen. No one mentioned or seemed to worry about it being anything serious. Keep doing the things I mentioned before and all should be well!

Back
Top Bottom