Molting and Egg Laying

ginaknotek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I am a new chicken owner and don't know what in the world i was doing before life with the girls. I so love these interesting pets!! I live in town and only have 3 hens and no rooster for obvious reasons. About the beginning of January when the girls were about 10 mos old, molting started. Had one not been aware you would have thought something had gotten a hold of them as there were feathers everywhere. But I have them in an enclosed covered run so they are well protected.

My question, it is now January 27th, and they haven't layed any eggs all month since the molting started. The losing of the feathers is beginning to subside, but can someone tell me when they will begin to start laying again? I live in Texas so the weather isn't what you see in the northern states, but has been more dreary and wet than usual. I've continued to feed them the same as I did in the summer months, even picking up some worms and crickets from the local pet store from time to time since I felt sorry for them during these winter months.

One of my girls is looking a little bare. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I have a flock of 16 and I get about 5 eggs a day in the winter and half of my flock molted to, so its normal not to get eggs. Your hen looks like she is still growing in her new feathers.

Last edited:
Thank you familyfarm 1 for your response. That really makes me feel a lot better, mainly about the hen. She was really looking rough. Hopefully they will begin laying again soon. Thanks again.

Not only are my birds not laying, but some tend to be a bit moodier. One thing that you can do to help them with their molt is to give them some protein...Mine love tuna fish. Or dried meal worms.

They exert so much energy on molting and keeping warm, plus the daylight is shorter than in the summer months...It is normal.

Acornewell,

Thank you so much for responding. It appears the phase my chickens are going through is quite normal which is a relief. I will definitely up the protein in their diet. I have been giving them dried meal worms daily but not a lot.

Thanks again for your help and best to you and your flock!!

Back
Top Bottom