molting before first lay?

jefchix

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
I got chickens about 7 weeks ago and was told they were about 17 weeks old at that time, making them now around 24 weeks. I have one leghorn, one easter egger and one barred rock. None have started to lay and the leghorn and barred rock look like they are starting to molt, losing lots of feathers around neck and some all over. None of them have very large or red comb and waddles. I live in Western Washington so it is starting to get cold here.

Are they just too young still to not lay? Are they suppose to be losing feather like that? Does it seem like they should be much more matured (comb and waddle) for this age or is it just the cold weather that is slowing there maturation? I am confused and feel that they should be starting or at least appear ready to lay soon but at the looks of them feel they are way off from laying still. Frustrated.

My understanding and experience is that chickens lose what I consider their "baby feathers", sometimes at an alarming rate. My hens did, and it didn't interfere with their laying.

Definitely not old birds. They have grown significantly since we got them and they had virtually no combs or waddles when we got them.

Here's a link about feather loss.
I agree with vstoltzfus

and
welcome-byc.gif
from a neighbor in Renton

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

I have never had any of my less than year olds molt, my spring hatch (March 09) are just starting to lay well and none are molting. All of the older girls are in various stages of molt. At 17 weeks they should of already lost the "baby fuzz".

My BR had a major mini-molt before she started laying. Now that she is having her first true molt- watch out. It looks like a chicken exploded feathers in the coop. She is super-grumpy for this molt, but the baby molt didn't really seem to bother her. I think it may be a breed thing.

Back
Top Bottom