Molting behavior

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

This is my chickens' first adult molt, and as much as I have researched, I don't know much about how they ACT during the molt. They are experiencing a soft molt and thank goodness, the damage from the rooster is finally starting to get better. However, they have all, except for one (not the roosters favorite, so not a lot of mating feather loss) been acting strange and so am wondering if it's a side effect of the molt, or if they are ill.

They used to be all attached at the hip and now some are spending time alone, kind of isolating themselves, during part of the day. They would be just laying down by themselves, and not being as social. No physical signs of illness, just them hanging around by themselves. Eating, drinking, and pooping and eagerness for treats has not changed. Actually, no, I think they are eating less of their main food, which I read was normal.

I did add 2 new girls recently, so that is why I am asking. I am hoping it's the molt, not any kind of disease or illness that came with the new birds.

Thank you!!

Basically just what you listed.
They should still eat and drink, they may be a bit grumpy, and they should still respond well to you.
They should not be lethargic or sluggish.
But growing feathers is hard work, and it takes it out of them. So they may take more rests. And they won’t want to be too close to others since it’s painful.

When molting they mostly don't want to be touched, so may become more standoffish to both you and one another. Combs go pale, they might seem a little less interested in doing stuff in general.
This post helps me relax a bit. My most beloved has stopped jumping on my lap or coming during the call to snack and get back into the run. Did a head count and she was still under a bush when the others had chased me down for their get in the run treats.

She stands alone kind of puffed and dosing. I thought at first perhaps sour crop but upon checking in morning she was empty with no foul noticeable smell from beak. I guess wait and see and let her be is the answer. I see noticeable pin feathers. First molt for this group but other than laying down more during the day not much noticeable difference in the others.

2 other concerns are poop is mostly urine with small amounts of poop in it. I see this
mostly in summer when they drink a lot. I see her drinking but not too excited (running to scratch when thrown) about eating. She is eating (drinking often) but just not with enthusiasm. Do they eat less? I thought they ate more?

Thanks again for your post. Too many variables when molting to quarantine during molt as that may stress her out more.

She is eating (drinking often) but just not with enthusiasm. Do they eat less? I thought they ate more?
My molting birds tend to eat less. Right now my entire flock is eating about 70-75% of what they'd eat during the longest days in summer, with the still-feathered birds doing more of the eating.

She stands alone kind of puffed and dosing. I thought at first perhaps sour crop but upon checking in morning she was empty with no foul noticeable smell from beak. I guess wait and see and let her be is the answer. I see noticeable pin feathers. First molt for this group but other than laying down more during the day not much noticeable difference in the others.
Molt affects some birds more than others.
I'd not be concerned unless it goes on for more than a week.

This post helps me relax a bit. My most beloved has stopped jumping on my lap or coming during the call to snack and get back into the run. Did a head count and she was still under a bush when the others had chased me down for their get in the run treats.

2 other concerns are poop is mostly urine with small amounts of poop in it. I see this
mostly in summer when they drink a lot. I see her drinking but not too excited (running to scratch when thrown) about eating. She is eating (drinking often) but just not with enthusiasm. Do they eat less? I thought they ate more?

Thanks again for your post. Too many variables when molting to quarantine during molt as that may stress her out more.
Yes I just posted a conversation regarding loose stools with my one hen that is molting, she too looks very unhappy, this is her first adult molt also. I have noted that her stools are loose since she started the molt last week and this morning she gave a large loose stool. It was a real gusher which freaked me out. She is eating and pecking around but she looks chilly (its cooler in the mornings here), I was thinking of putting up my heater panel for her to hang out by.

Sometimes I feel that stress can bring on loose stools, I see this with the horses, and of course humans also :)

Anyone else have loose stool with molting?

Back
Top Bottom