Molting care

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
I have some hens starting to molt now. They are a little under a year and a half. I have read to add some protein to their diet to support regrowth of feathers. Any tips on best ways to help during molt?

An old school farmer said he adds dry cat food to his chicken feed to increase protein intake. Speeds feather growth and makes bigger eggs.

I just want to make sure i am getting them what they need! Thanks for the ideas.

What are you feeding them now? What % protein?

Yes, some will feed dry cat food. Some will feed fish food flakes. Some canned or cooked meats.

I feed with Purina layena crumbles. The label states 16% protein. I do offer occasional treats including black oily seeds, meal worms, scrambled eggs, fresh vegetables and fruits and left over meats

They don't need layer feed during molt, I keep mine on flock raiser with OS or crushed egg shell on the side, it's 18-20 % protein depending on the brand can be called something else and vary. They do come knocking on the door as they know the meal worms are kept in the house due to them figuring out how to help themselves to them , and don't have to do anything else for them.

Some people also stop feeding layer feed. If they aren't laying eggs, they don't need that extra calcium. You could feed an all flock type of feed which would most likely have a higher percentage of protein and feed oyster shell in a separate container for them to eat as they need it.

I feed them catfish feed pellets 35% protein ($12/50lb bag) once the weather cools off and the bugs go into hiding. Right now there's plenty of bugs/protein. The young ones look like little ballerinas jumping and spinning around trying to catch bugs in the yard. If you get your's some catfish pellets, make sure to get the sinker pellets. The floater pellets are mostly made of feathers. Seems like the higher the protein in the feed, the less they feel the need to eat as much.

I feed a 20% all-flock feed with separate oyster shell, all year to everyone, rather than adding lots of other stuff. Protein supplements are expensive, and I'd rather just feed better all year. In a flock including different ages and roosters, it's worked best for me.
No catfish pellets sold around here!
Mary

I feed a 20% all-flock feed with separate oyster shell, all year to everyone, rather than adding lots of other stuff. Protein supplements are expensive, and I'd rather just feed better all year. In a flock including different ages and roosters, it's worked best for me.
No catfish pellets sold around here!
Mary
They usually are sold at co/ops and farm feed stores. I don't think TSC sells them. Those fish pellets will keep them fat and healthy in winter when the foraging is poor. From reading the ingredients list, they seem to have about the same vitamins and minerals, but twice the protein.
Catfish pellets are all my neighbor feeds his year round unless HMC is out (very seldom) then he feeds them hog pellets.

Back
Top Bottom