Molting Chicken: Tips?

HappyChickens101

Chirping
Oct 5, 2020
Tennessee
Only one of my chickens is molting. What can I do to help her grow feathers or keep her warm in the winter? I don’t particularly want to buy a whole bag of special feed for just one chicken. It’s getting colder now because it’s becoming winter soon. Also, will she be fine if I don’t do anything and let molting do it’s thing?

In have this issue too!!! I honestly have the same questions! I was kinda just planning on let her do her own thing, but maybe I should do something?

Because I have a mixed flock of different ages and sexes I feed 18-20% all-flock feed with oystershell on the side for all my birds.

That's high enough protein to support growing chicks and molting adults but ensures that the layers get their calcium.

Tennesee is a big state so I don't know if you're in a warm area like my part of NC or up in the mountains where you get a severe winter, but as long as your hen can get out of the wind she's probably OK.

I'm told that they regrow their new feathers faster in cold weather.

Because I have a mixed flock of different ages and sexes I feed 18-20% all-flock feed with oystershell on the side for all my birds.

That's high enough protein to support growing chicks and molting adults but ensures that the layers get their calcium.

Tennesee is a big state so I don't know if you're in a warm area like my part of NC or up in the mountains where you get a severe winter, but as long as your hen can get out of the wind she's probably OK.

I'm told that they regrow their new feathers faster in cold weather.
Thank you so much.

I don't change anything specifically for molting birds, but I also feed a mixed diet and skew it more towards grower vs layer when we're closing in on fall-early spring. But I'm less concerned about them feathering in faster (they'll re-grow the feathers in normal conditions) and more about reducing calcium intake when laying is slow/stopped.

These last few months, I've been giving my chickens a protein boost with Calf Manna. I add it to their chickie snack (their food, wetted into a mash) in the afternoon. 1/3 cup, about 3 times a week. A scant tablespoon per bird. Their regular food is a starter/grower, so if I do give them treats (usually greens, or vegetable scraps), they still get enough protein.

All the molting hens look really nice now.

Back
Top Bottom