Molting chicken trying to poop

@Chicken poppy Hello! Add nutri drench or molasses to their water for a day, it will act as a flush. Helped my hen pass some really long grass.
Thank you! I just wanted to add after the big poo came out she ate a LOT more then before. And she did drink some water.

I have both, is one preferred? I will add one tomorrow (Since its night now.)

Photos of her poop when you can.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.

Do provide grit for your birds.

A direct dose of PND won't hurt her for a couple of days. Dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

If she's heavily molting, then I would not give her a soaking unless it's absolutely necessary.
You can give her coconut oil twice a day for a few days to help get things moving.
When my hens are in molt, they don't seem to eat a lot and are standoffish.

Photos of her poop when you can.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.

Do provide grit for your birds.

A direct dose of PND won't hurt her for a couple of days. Dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

If she's heavily molting, then I would not give her a soaking unless it's absolutely necessary.
You can give her coconut oil twice a day for a few days to help get things moving.
When my hens are in molt, they don't seem to eat a lot and are standoffish.
For the grit: I free range them, do i need to separately provide it? And if so, what would i buy?

Sorry, whats PND?

Okay, i will definitely wait on a soak then. I wouldn’t want it to be to warm on her skin or something.

I appreciate all this advice! Thanks so much. I will be sure to do these in the morning and provide frequent updates.

I always provide grit (crushed granite) regardless if mine are free roaming or cooped.
Possible they may find grit on their own, but a bag will last a long time. I just scatter it free choice in a few areas of the run or you can place it in a container attached to a post of your run or coop. I get grit at stores like TSC.

PND is Poultry Nutri-Drench:)

I always provide grit (crushed granite) regardless if mine are free roaming or cooped.
Possible they may find grit on their own, but a bag will last a long time. I just scatter it free choice in a few areas of the run or you can place it in a container attached to a post of your run or coop. I get grit at stores like TSC.

PND is Poultry Nutri-Drench:)
Next time i go to TSC i’ll try to remember to pick some up.

Ah okay, got it!

Update: They have been down off the rods, so i assume they have eaten a bit (though their in their coop and not outside in the yard)

However, i checked Isbe’s and Rizo’s crop (their of similar size and same age, for comparison)

Rizo’s was squishy, it did seem empty.

Isbe’s was much fuller so i imagine she has been eating more.

Another same aged chicken, though, their crop felt about the same as Rizo’s, just a bit more full.

Just wanted to do a side-by-side.

Im going to give her a few small chunks of coconut oil and some Nutri drench and we’ll just see how everything goes.

I might end up taking her inside and see if i can see her poop again just to be sure.

Rizo is currently eating some scratch, and shes moving around more then yesterday.

Last edited:
Re-check first thing before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Squishy is not empty, but if she'd already had the opportunity to eat/drink, then that may be normal.

Focus on your hens eating their nutritionally balanced feed for most of the day.

Back
Top Bottom