Molting chicken trying to poop

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
My 2 year old chicken, Rizo, is having some problems.

She’s been molting so i shrugged off her weird behavior as part of that, however i know now that something else is going on.
Every now and then for the past few days, she’s been pooping a tiny bit, then trying to poop for a few minutes after (how their bottom feathers open up and she’s slightly leaned to get it out.) but then nothing comes.
But now, she pooped about the size of a dime, now she is trying to poop, and nothing is coming out.
Its 47 here with windchill, turning winter. I was going to give her a warm water soak but wasn’t sure if it was worth the trouble to have to dry her feathers to be completely dry before she goes back out. Should i do a warm water soak? Give her anything? Not sure. Thanks for your help in advance!

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

See that she's drinking really well and eating. Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

You can give her some coconut oil twice a day to see if that helps get things moving too, but you want to see that she's staying hydrated.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

See that she's drinking really well and eating. Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

You can give her some coconut oil twice a day to see if that helps get things moving too, but you want to see that she's staying hydrated.
Photos of her, yes. Photos of her poop, no.
Her poop looks normal though.

I’ll make sure she eats and drinks enough.
9FA5CCFE-B422-4F5D-BF72-C9B5902770BC.jpeg
My most recent photo (Taken yesterday or so)
Only difference is she lost some back feathers and vent feathers, and a lot others. But everything else is the same other then feather loss.

Hopefully she's doing a little better.

I'd raise that water station up, put it on a block, brick or piece of wood to raise it up off the floor so it doesn't get clogged with bedding. That way you don't have to change/clean it several times a day to ensure they have full time access to water.
Thanks! Good idea, will do that.

@Chicken poppy Hello! Add nutri drench or molasses to their water for a day, it will act as a flush. Helped my hen pass some really long grass.
Thank you! I just wanted to add after the big poo came out she ate a LOT more then before. And she did drink some water.

I have both, is one preferred? I will add one tomorrow (Since its night now.)

Photos of her poop when you can.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied.

Do provide grit for your birds.

A direct dose of PND won't hurt her for a couple of days. Dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

If she's heavily molting, then I would not give her a soaking unless it's absolutely necessary.
You can give her coconut oil twice a day for a few days to help get things moving.
When my hens are in molt, they don't seem to eat a lot and are standoffish.

I always provide grit (crushed granite) regardless if mine are free roaming or cooped.
Possible they may find grit on their own, but a bag will last a long time. I just scatter it free choice in a few areas of the run or you can place it in a container attached to a post of your run or coop. I get grit at stores like TSC.

PND is Poultry Nutri-Drench:)

Back
Top Bottom