Molting chicken with bloody skin help

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Ok so i had another post about my chickens looking odd but have determined it to be the 22 week tail feather molt. Only a few are losing feathers and when i look i see new feathers coming through aeound back tail and legs. I think they are also establishing new pecking order after removal of 3 birds. My buff brhama now has a partch about the size of a quarter that has had the feathers pulled from and the skin is bloody. I went out and teied to wipe it but that made it bleed a little so i stopped and put a thick layer of aquaphor on it. All i have is neosporin with pain reliever. It doesn't have any caine ingredients can i use that? Currently i have her seperated in the coop with the other girls in the run but cant do that long because the others cant get to the nestinf box now. Any advice?

The ingredient pramoxine is pramocaine, so I would not use it. Other things than can be used for feather-picking are Nustock cream, a pine oil and sulfur cream that hides red skin and heals, Blu-Kote which colors wounds blue and contains alcohol and the anti-fungal gentian violet, Vicks, Bag Balm, or anti-peck lotions from your feed store. Make sure they are getting plenty of protein in their feed (between 16-20%) and give them a little extra protein if needed. Overcrowding can also promote feather-picking, and letting them out to free range during daylight hours really helps prevent boredom.

Is there anything i can mix in with the aquaphor to mask the red? Im about to head out to set up my daughters birthday party and dont have time to go to a feed store.

Zinc oxide cream, blue or green food coloring, iodine, or try a baby TShirt or a piece of fabric. The Nustock works very well.

TE002508
RoosterBoosterPickNoMore.jpg
621405-BluKote.jpg
27141-209.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, to use temporarily. It is opaque, and will hide red wounds. We used to put it on our noses for sun protection before the days of sunscreens.

I vote for feather mites without specific "scientific" evidence to the contrary. A rooster or hen (depending on when it hatches) molts for the first time at about 20 months old.

These mites cause chickens to rip out their own plumage. There is nothing that will help other than a pour-on parasite treatment. The feather mites infest the Skin follicles that feathers grow out of. Nothing about a molting chicken should involve bleeding. Your hen may even be trying to get relief by pulling out her own feathers and if these feathers are regrowing they are pin feathers A.K.A. blood feathers. Damaged blood feathers however bleed like a stuck pig.

Well i noticed a few of my other hens plucking feathers from my other hens nonaggessivly. What is the easiest cheapest way to treat for mites? Just had my daughters party and money is tight

Back
Top Bottom