Molting Chickens

FHF ChickenMom

Chirping
Jul 24, 2017
South Wales, NY
Hi All,

I have 3 Buffs all females, 2 are fine but 1 is molting more than the others. My concern is her rump is the only area where she has molted out and her bare skin is very red. Normal? or do I need to take action?

It’s always nice to have extra Protien,maybe add kitty feed to their diet and or get a showbird or feather fixer feed,just soem assistance.Other then that they can pretty much take Care of themselves escpecially since it’s summer.

It’s always nice to have extra Protien,maybe add kitty feed to their diet and or get a showbird or feather fixer feed,just soem assistance.Other then that they can pretty much take Care of themselves escpecially since it’s summer.
OK. Nothing serious then. They get a product called Mealworm Tine Insect Medley which gives them 50% crude protein in addition to Kickin' Chicken by Heathy Coat feed supplement for Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids for healthy plumage. Thanks for your reply.

A picture is always helpful. Are you sure they are molting? Along with the feather loss are you seeing new pin feathers come in? In my flock when the only thing bare is the rump it usually means feather picking, usually on the roosts at night. Whenever you have feather loss it's a good idea to check for lice/mites, and then observe behaviors to see if you have something going on there. If you are not seeing any pinfeathers coming in anywhere on the body, it's likely not a molt yet. Just some things to look for.

Back
Top Bottom