Molting Chickens!

To reply to Urban dreamer
On the note of egg laying decreases with age: Two of my birds are over two years old. How bad dose laying decrease with age and what do you normally do with them when they reach three and beyond? (note: I am very attached to my birds)

The information I have found says that at 3 years old they decrease in egglaying 20% each year thereafter. I'm sure there is some varying breed to breed, chicken to chicken, but is the majority. Many people on here seem to keep them for pets as they age, I on the other hand am a firm believer in multi purpose and will be putting mine in the stew pot when they reach 3.​

Last edited:
That's what most people tell me. I just don't know if I can take the girls out. They are my pets, and I am only allowed to have four, but I want eggs too. Even if my DH did it I wouldn't be able to eat them.
sad.png
Well you win some you lose some I guess. My little pullet and my one year old will keep me satisfied until I am able to have my "super-dooper-dream-chicken-farm".
big_smile.png

LOL, No problem about the hijack. It is starting to get cold at nights, I might close the little doors at night to protect the molting ones. When my parrot molts I roll the feathers to help him along, it doesn't hurt, I think that he actually likes it. I may try it with the girls, if they can sit still for long enough, if I have food they will!!

Back
Top Bottom