Molting, diaherra, staggered walking

waywind

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I've had a good search around the forum, but am concerned for my poor buff orpington I just wanted to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing.

Buff Orpington Standard
1.5 years old
Undergoing heavy molt at the moment, no signs of pecking (only have another standard her sister)
Diaherra with white liquid discharge
Today wasn't able to jump out of the coop by herself and she has slight loss of balance walking on lawn
Lethargic / not as active
Wormed last year in August
No signs of mites around bare neck or vent
Stuck a finger about 5ish cm deep into the vent with oil, didn't feel any eggs (am I suppose to go deeper?)

Still drinking and taking some food. Have fed her scrambled eggs, tuna (rejected) and mealsworms to boost protein. Added electrolytes in water today.
Put her in a covered cage outside by herself to make sure she drank the water. Let her out after lunch to let her wander around where she's not very active understandably.
Her sister is also under going heavy molt but is not feeling the affects as badly and her poop is not as bad.

Am I missing anything treatment wise? Should I keep her in the cage in the garage full time until she's recovered? I figured she'll just go sit in her favorite spot under the tree and rest, which is more or less the same?

Regards
waywind.

If she's not getting picked on, I leave birds with the flock and let them decide where they are most comfortable.
Molting can be hard on them for sure.
I think you have checked all the things we normally would do. I would see that her crop is emptying overnight.
When I have one that is struggling with molt, I offer wet mash (feed) made with water but add some buttermilk and vitamins to the mix. I do this a couple of times a week.

If you have photos you wish to share, that would be good too.

Back
Top Bottom