Molting Help

kennys chicks

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
I have a chicken that is molting. All of its feathers are gone from its vent area. The other chickens are picking at its raw skin and making her bleed. Would Blu-Kote prevent them from attacking her? I have since put a dog cage on our back porch. She sleeps there at night and spends the day on the outside of the inside chicken run. I have not put a heat lamp on her because what I have read is that they should be kept at the same temperature they are used to. So sad. Please advise.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. The sight of blood really makes chickens peck. Once her skin is healed over some you can try applying Blu-Kote and watch to see if the other chickens leave her alone. I have found that my hens are less tempted to peck bare skin on other hens when it is covered in blue.

My last hen to molt this season was pretty bare, too. But she still came out of the coop and spent time in the run despite temperatures in the teens. Her feathers are finally growing in. I gave her extra protein to help with feather growth.

Thank you, I bought some Blu-Kote tonight. I will try it tomorrow. Thank you again for your help. This is my first time dealing with a molt.

Back
Top Bottom