Molting...HELP!!!

mmch618

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
My chickens are molting and havnt layed any eggs in at least a month. They rarley leave the henhouse (because it is very cold where i live) and They dont eat or drink as much as they used to. They hardly touch their food. Is there somthing Im doing wrong? Iv been giving them a higher protein food but they still will not eat. I dont want them to die and Im cancerned then havnt layed in so long. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal. This year mine have been having a hard molt. It is ok for them to stay in if they choose to.
You can try giving them some warm oatmeal with scrambled egg in it to get them going in the morning. ( remember to give in moderation ) I use it to spur them into action and when it is all gone they head for the regular feed.
I have also sprinkled a thin layer of scratch in the ring on the feeders to draw them in.

I have not seen an egg since early September this year. My hens are all getting up there in age and a hard molt is certainly not helping.

What feed are you using and at what protein level?
How cold is cold where you are located?
How many hens?
Breeds?

Remember hens will naturally slow down or stop with the short days too.
Hoping things pick up again soon.

Babs

Yes it is normal. This year mine have been having a hard molt. It is ok for them to stay in if they choose to.
You can try giving them some warm oatmeal with scrambled egg in it to get them going in the morning. ( remember to give in moderation ) I use it to spur them into action and when it is all gone they head for the regular feed.
I have also sprinkled a thin layer of scratch in the ring on the feeders to draw them in.

I have not seen an egg since early September this year. My hens are all getting up there in age and a hard molt is certainly not helping.

What feed are you using and at what protein level?
How cold is cold where you are located?
How many hens?
Breeds?

Remember hens will naturally slow down or stop with the short days too.
Hoping things pick up again soon.

Babs

You're so right!! Last year my girls had a heavy molt and I didn't see an egg for months...
sad.png
also my girls are getting on a bit now, so production slowed up following the molt. Patience!

I have a blk sexlink that has been molting for a montg. she's starting to get her feathers back, much blacker than she was. It's around freezing here and she hasn't laid in 2 months. Is it really OK to give them eggs? I heard don't. What to do? Give to her only or all 6 of my hens?

I only give them once a week or so if apatite is off. I cook them scrambled style and chop them up small then mix with oatmeal. No problems from it in 4 years.
I would let them all have some. It wont hurt the others.

edited to add:

When I give oatmeal the amount is about 1/8 cup per hen. They devour it and look for more.
More from me is the little bit of scratch on the rim of the feeder.

Last edited:
Thanks. My so called chicken friends say give them no eggs. How about meat other than chicken, is that ok?

I also give my birds scrambled eggs. They love sweet corn mixed in also. Except when molting, most of them act afraid of everything, even yummy food sometimes.

I should start a new thread on the nonsense I have been told about chickens from these 2 ppl who know it all but only had chickens for 5 months.

I add dry cat food to my chicken's diet when they are molting. You can also let it soak in warm water to give them a warm meal on a cold day.

Back
Top Bottom