Molting hen exhibiting strange behavior

Jewelmb

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2023
Our egger has been going through a bad molt and has been miserable. Today when we let her out of the coop she began walking in a small circle and hasn’t stopped for at least 15 minutes now. She has been eating sparingly over the past few days.

On Sunday, she let out a wail (I guess is the best word for it), on three separate occasions. She also continued to tussle with one of the lower chickens. She sounded like she was in pain. Then yesterday, she was eating better, and acting normal. Today she started walking in circles, (although my husband said she came out of the coop normally). She stops occasionally to rest, and then starts up again. I have not seen her eat or drink.

Walking in circles can stem from an inner ear infection, something neurological like an injury or trauma to the head, wry neck/vitamin B12 deficiency would cause her to circle, even lead poisoning.

I'd start with a course of a good supplement like Poultry Cell for a boost of vitamins. Offer up some scrambled eggs not only for the protein but the other building block nutrients.

Thank you for your response. Am on my way to get Poultry Cell now, and will try feeding her scrambled eggs when I get home.

Thank you for your response. Am on my way to get Poultry Cell now, and will try feeding her scrambled eggs when I get home.
Hopefully this helps, if its going to work, you should notice improvement in a few days to a week. Keep us posted!

On Sunday, she let out a wail (I guess is the best word for it), on three separate occasions. She also continued to tussle with one of the lower chickens. She sounded like she was in pain. Then yesterday, she was eating better, and acting normal. Today she started walking in circles, (although my husband said she came out of the coop normally). She stops occasionally to rest, and then starts up again. I have not seen her eat or drink.
Maybe brain damage from fight?

Back
Top Bottom