emmabellybutton

Chirping
Feb 11, 2021
All the rest of my ducks and chickens completely molted this past fall, except my one duck Spinach. He molted all his feathers except his flight feathers, they’re just raggedy sticks now. Is this a health concern? He is a Muscovy/magpie duck mule, his sister was mentally and physically disabled so I worry about what those two breeds mixed might have to do with it… Spinach has always been healthy so far. Their diet is mazuri waterfowl feed, they get mealworms, vegetable scraps, and garlic/brewers yeast supplement regularly plus have a big ol pasture to forage around so I don’t think nutrients or protein is the issue from what I’ve read.

Hi emmabellybutton

I don't think it is a health concern. One of my muscovy hasn't molted in 18 months. He came to me as a juvenile, a rescue that had been raised by a rehabber. He has lost feathers and replaced them but hasn't had a full molt and his flight feathers are raggedy sticks too. I see feral muscovy with similar raggedy wings -- that is more of concern as they need to fly to survive.

Spinach will get new flight feathers in time

Back
Top Bottom