Molting Mallard Duck Questions

renaenae

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
I have four 12 week old mallard ducks. They have been going through a molt for about a week or so. How long does this process take? I know for chickens you are supposed to give them extra protein during the molt. Is this the same for ducks? Mine free range during the day, so do i still need to add extra protein. any other helpful info would be great. Thanks so much!!!

I am also new to ducks too but i never gave them anything extra because mine free range i figure if they need it they can eat more bugs there are enough around that they should be fine.... but that is just my opinion

mine are 10 weeks old and the drakes and hens are molting their immature plumage for their adult plumage. Mine are on Purina Gamebird Flight Conditioner which is a 19% protein ration. No need to change feed if you are feeding them a high quality feed.

yeah, mine are getting a high protein blue seal feed anyways. so between that and the free ranging i guess they would be ok. it was just startling to see them so featherless. none of my chickens of had a complete molting so this was our first experience. man they look rough. they seem perfectly healthy though. thanks for the info!!!

Back
Top Bottom