Molting, maybe?

krowl

Songster
Feb 23, 2017
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I have 3 young pullets (currenlty laying) around 7 or 8 months old... My Americauna I swear is molting, isn't she too young? and she is still laying...I check and handle chickens almost daily. Everyone looks healthy and happy and their behavior is normal. The Americaunas feathers look just like how a molting chicken looks, she has lost a few feathers and maybe her feathers aren't as fabulous looking as they normally look...any thoughts? I will try and see if I can get a photo to add in the next day...

35AB6050-8706-4124-A755-020671A963EE.jpeg 6080D439-F4A6-41F6-A376-1172285994CD.jpeg 22BA08D3-7E07-45BB-BE5F-F511334084BB.jpeg
Do you have a picture?

I was a little slow in posting these-but see her feathers how each one is a bit untamed and messy looking? Thoughts???

View attachment 1940762 View attachment 1940763 View attachment 1940764

I was a little slow in posting these-but see her feathers how each one is a bit untamed and messy looking? Thoughts???
Doesn't look like molt to me... but yes I see it. :thumbsup

More like over preening. Since you don't have a rooster to cause this type of damage from mating... be sure and check for parasites as instructed above. Look for angry red skin near the vent or dried "mud" looking clumps near the feather bases.

Also, the other ladies' feathers look pretty perfect... watch for pecking order influence. Rock are always at the top of my pecking order.

:fl

More like over preening. Since you don't have a rooster to cause this type of damage from mating... be sure and check for parasites as instructed above. Look for angry red skin near the vent or dried "mud" looking clumps near the feather bases.

Also, the other ladies' feathers look pretty perfect... watch for pecking order influence. Rock are always at the top of my pecking order.

Yessss, my barred rock is definitely at the top, she's a bossy one!! She also gets very jealous when I give the other chickens attention, even though she really doesn't like to be receiving the actual attention!!!

I am just not seeing evidence of parasites...last I did a thorough inspection (which I will do another today when I get home) the skin looks good and I looked under the wings etc and don't see anything... I did notice a tiny bit of something on the outside back of her feathers (by her vent) when I took those pictures, but it was a little rainy out so I kinda figured it was mud/poop from them sitting and running around in the dirt/woods...

Do you all use poultry dust? When I first got them, I had read that is good to use for preventing parasites, so I do a good dusting on the chickens monthly (under wings, vent area etc.) Is anyone using something they prefer more? Thoughts??, just in case this ends up being something like that...which is going to make me cringe :hit

I'll check again today/tonight and update.:fl

I'm actually going to just throw one more thing in here since you sort of alluded to this...

Is it possible my barred rock is creating her feathers to look like that? My Americauna (she's my favorite :love) used to be the one that was picked on initially, and it took a while to slowly intro her into the flock, kind of a long story, but I had a rooster that triggered the rest of them to pick on her, he was re-homed (he wasn't supposed to be a rooster when I got them all together) and then i was slowly able to get them to all be together again and I haven't really seen any issues since....

Okay i checked her with a flashlight-I am seeing nothing concerning-skin looks good, normal color, no bugs or dirt or anything!!!

Do you all use poultry dust? When I first got them, I had read that is good to use for preventing parasites, so I do a good dusting on the chickens monthly (under wings, vent area etc.) Is anyone using something they prefer more? Thoughts??,
I don't like dust at all... because every time they shake out it goes far and wide into the air for me to breath. It's also a tad harder to apply.

I prefer a permethrin based spray... it comes under different brand names and ready to use like my picture or concentrated and mix down to the correct level. Usually found in the equine section, but avoid ones with other "active ingredients" if you decide to try these. Just a SMALL spritz below the vent, under each wing pit and to the nape of the neck... with feathers parted so it hits the skin. Soaking is not required.
TE006407

That being said... you should NOT use ANYTHING monthly with no sign of need... as that is how resistance is built. Treat ONLY when you SEE the need, follow up as directed according to instructions... usually 10 ish days later... often twice but occasionally you may need to do a third treatment. But after that, don't treat again unless needed... as it isn't beneficial to your pocket book, the birds, or the environment. ;) Continue to do your monthly inspections with the flash light though. Pleas note that the spray is just my preference and there is no problem with dust if that's what you like.

One last thought... the feather quality will not improve once it is damaged... until they molt and grow new ones. So maybe not until next year for her.

Back
Top Bottom