1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*MOLTING/MOULTING BIRD CONTEST*Ended 9-30-08*Results on page 5!!

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by tfpets, Sep 8, 2008.

1. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

The Molting/MOULTING bird Contest My First Attempt!

**UPDATED FIRST PRIZE CHOICE** [​IMG] GOES TO ITSUZZIE FOR UGLY [​IMG]

You can choose:

Poultry Saddle, custom made [​IMG] by me, tfpets, to protect your lovely bird during this molting season

OR

6 Fertile Cuckoo Marans Eggs

Second prize will be Chicken fabric Potholders or two wooden eggs for the nest, [​IMG] GOES TO CHICKENLADY FOR UNKNOWN BREED [​IMG]

Third prize will be choice of 1 potholder or a wooden egg for the nest! [​IMG] GOES TO TUFFOLDHEN FOR THE SPLASH ORPINGTON [​IMG]

(I will PM individuals for their addresses as necessary)

Introducing a new kind of poultry contest that may seem a bit different and hopefully fun for everyone who enters...a contest focused completely on poultry that doesnt always get the most positive attention when they're not at their best! No birds are to be harmed in the making or posting of these pictures! [​IMG]
    We fawn all over them when they look so cute, but when the yard looks like a feather pillow bomb blew up in it, and our guys and gals look like they've been chewed up and spit out by a St. Bernard, who wants a pic? We do, dont we???

So go and get em!!!

Hopefully I can cover everything that is necessary:

The Rules:

1. The contest is limited to Poultry, but you can enter any breed or gender. Since this is a molting bird contest, it is probably better to enter adult birds.

2. Each participant can enter up to three different (3) birds.

3. A picture of the bird and the "Entry Form" (copy and paste this into your entry and fill it out) are required.

Entry Form

Name (if possible):
    Age (if possible):
    Fun Facts or Story:

4. Pictures will be judged based on representation of type, photo quality, and moltiness/originality of the bird.

Time Period:

This contest will run until September 30, 2008.

The Judges are - Tina/tfpets - chickenlover98 - and - Kesta - Thank you guys for your support!

Have fun!

This is what my moulting hen wearing a quickly made/emergency chicken saddle looks like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I've had my oldest hen for a year. She is 3 years old and has not yet moulted. She has a receding hairline so her head is almost completely bald, and really tatty feathers. I keep trying to get a picture, but she will not keep still so they are blurred.
    Her previous owner clipped her wing and I can still see the cut ends of the feathers so I know that she still has the same ones.
    At last, here is Bella aged 3 years.
    [​IMG]

She has had a bald head for months. Is she moulting slowly?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Blue silkie hen

crestless broody...(before)
    [​IMG]

(after)
    [​IMG]

White crested splash polish hen

(before)
    [​IMG]

(after)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  4. tfpets

Great Pics You guys!

Wow, a chicken with a receding hairline, I hadnt ever heard of that! I wonder if Rogaine works on chickens?

Thanks for the entries, the contest is rolling now!

Tina

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Bwah! Rogaine for chix! Is that dangerous because of the 'aine' or is it just 'caine' ??

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Here is my Blue Sumatra,His name is Tyson, in this pic he was 12 months, now he is 13 months is tail feathers are gone, but boy is he growing beautiful new one, nice darker color.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Golden Phoenix, His name is Red Stud, again in this pic hes 12 months, we trimmed his tail becouse of too many cracks. you should see it now growing in beautiful, were are gonna let his tail grow, ill send pics when it grows in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. tfpets

Its hard to believe that your birds will get prettier than they are, but I know the long tail varieties are so super showy! Cant wait to see them in their full glory some day!! They must be absolutely beautiful [​IMG]
    Tina

8. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Wicked
    6 month old cockeral
    Mixed breed free range roo
    [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]

She was even uglier, I promise [​IMG]

One of only 2 hens that molted big time for me this year...She is a Splash Orpington 16 months old...

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] You better knit that girlie a sweater....she's gonna freeze her tushy off this winter!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by