Molting much?

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
Okay I'm starting to think she is molting.. AGAIN! She is a BR, not laying anymore. Everytime she walks a feather comes off. What should I do. Cause this happened at the end of last year, and lasted to the beginging of this year! Please tell me some suggestions, I know to always give them eggs, like scrambled for protein to help them grow their feathers back... But what else? It's getting pretty chilly here in NW MS! Thanks & happy halloween
smile.png

I don't have a lot of experience with chickens yet, but here is some interesting information on the molting process. Not all birds molt in the same manner, and different molting patterns are perfectly normal. Perhaps your girl is a slow molter and so it takes her longer to get through the entire process. I assume you have checked her and the rest of your flock well for lice and mites? http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/27_2709.htm

BTW
, I have read that upping their protein will help. Scrambled eggs are good. Perhaps switch to Flock Raiser as a main food and supplement with oyster shell for calcium.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom