Molting or something else?

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
My 6 month old hen has been like this for about a month or so. I thought she was just loosing feathers due to molting, but i also dont think they molt this young. I have no roosters so it’s not due to mounting and no bully hens or dominant hens. She does have pin feathers growing in this area. And no mites. What else could it be, i’m stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_8244.jpeg
    IMG_8244.jpeg
    728.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8250.jpeg
    IMG_8250.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 14
6 months is too young for a yearly molt and she should be done molting out her baby feathers. Look all over her body for more pin feathers, if she is finishing off her baby feather molt, there should be signs on other areas of her body. If not it's something else. Other birds may be plucking her feathers out, common bad habit when birds get bored.

Has it gotten worse or better? If not I'd say that's just how her feathers will be till she does her adult molt next year

6 months is too young for a yearly molt and she should be done molting out her baby feathers. Look all over her body for more pin feathers, if she is finishing off her baby feather molt, there should be signs on other areas of her body. If not it's something else. Other birds may be plucking her feathers out, common bad habit when birds get bored.
Just this area is like this, her other areas are pretty thick of feathers. I have cameras and there is no pecking at her!

Hello, I am dealing with the exact same thing at the moment. First time having chickens:

6 month old hens with feather loss in the same spot. More serious on hens in the bottom of the pecking order. I don’t have cameras so I assumed it was feather pecking.

I bought no-pick spray, and I think it was working so I relaxed with it a bit. After a couple weeks without spray, I noticed it happening again so I just started re-applying every other night or so. Seems to be working?

No mites as far as I can tell, and there are some patchy pin feathers coming though. I’d recommend an anti-pick spray if you are still having this problem! I also bought a hen apron for the bottom hen, who was noticeably getting her bald spot pecked at by others.

Hello, I am dealing with the exact same thing at the moment. First time having chickens:

6 month old hens with feather loss in the same spot. More serious on hens in the bottom of the pecking order. I don’t have cameras so I assumed it was feather pecking.

I bought no-pick spray, and I think it was working so I relaxed with it a bit. After a couple weeks without spray, I noticed it happening again so I just started re-applying every other night or so. Seems to be working?

No mites as far as I can tell, and there are some patchy pin feathers coming though. I’d recommend an anti-pick spray if you are still having this problem! I also bought a hen apron for the bottom hen, who was noticeably getting her bald spot pecked at by others.
Hi, I am having a similar issue. Can you recommend a good picking spray? I was also considering a chicken saddle but not sure if that might actually cause more harm for keeping her warm in the winter? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom