arstarr

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2023
One of my silver laced wyandottes started to molt and then quit midway though. She's often seen on her own so I think she is bullied. I separated her to give her time to grow her feathers in peace, but after a month of isolation she only managed to regrow the ones picked out on her back from bullying. The rest look awful like these photos. She's on a 20% layer pellet and gets some scratch grains. Is there anything else I can do to promote feather growth and get her back to beautiful?

It's starting to get cold and I'm worried she won't be warm enough through the winter months. She already stands with one leg up when it's only in the mid 40s.

PXL_20240105_165228279.MP.jpg
PXL_20240105_165214306.MP.jpg

Keep her in a separate pen so that she can still see the others but they can’t interact. It could be that her flockmates were picking at her pin feathers making it so they were not allowed to grow. Or that for some reason she isn’t getting in enough calcium so she can’t grow any new feathers. I would put some oyster shell in a side dish for her to eat out of it if she needs that extra calcium.

Keep her in a separate pen so that she can still see the others but they can’t interact. It could be that her flockmates were picking at her pin feathers making it so they were not allowed to grow. Or that for some reason she isn’t getting in enough calcium so she can’t grow any new feathers. I would put some oyster shell in a side dish for her to eat out of it if she needs that extra calcium.
I already separated her and gave her a month in a separate pen. It didn't do anything. And they weren't picking out her pin feathers because she was already separated.

Or that for some reason she isn’t getting in enough calcium so she can’t grow any new feathers. I would put some oyster shell in a side dish for her to eat out of it if she needs that extra calcium.
Hmm. Does she have any supplemental calcium that she can eat? It is quite odd that she isn’t able to regrow her feathers.

Feathers are made of mostly protein, not calcium.

A separate dish of oyster shell will do no harm, but it will not help her grow new feathers.

What is her exact age? Chickens usually molt the first time around 18 months of age, and then yearly thereafter. Could it be possible that she was suffering feather loss from her flock members, and that she has nit yet molted? I would use caution adding her back with her flock. It might be better to gradually introduce her in a wire dog crate with food and water or behind some fence netting. I would supervise the mingling, or she could get really hurt. Cut out the scratch, and keep her primarily on her layer feed, and maybe some bits of scrambled egg or tuna as occasional treats. Scratch has only about 7% protein, and if she eats a lot of it, she will not be getting enough protein.

Back
Top Bottom