Molting on the East Coast

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Molting is hormonal and triggered by the shortening of the days. Some will start in July, some wait until Christmas day! Many molters will lose their appetite, some have diarrhea, pale combs and most don't lay. But its all par for the course and they will get through it just fine no matter the frigid temps. Just keep an eye on the heavy molters, they may choose to stay inside and rest instead of heading out doors.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Some of my chickens here in the often-frigid Midwest are also molting later than their usual this year. And, despite all the assurances that it's perfectly normal, I find it hard not to worry about their semi-naked bodies. It may just be a ploy to get more tasty mealworms in their diets! 🤔 I'm used to my chickens outsmarting me.

And, as said, when their bodies have to choose between making feathers and making eggs, they selfishly select the better choice. I refuse to buy grocery store eggs, so I see a lot of Cheerios in my immediate breakfast future.

I have some molting hens as well now. This is the first year the I have seen a REAL molt on them. Wow. These girls get so weird. The confident ones get depressed and the pretty ones strut around. It is so funny. I was concerned about one of them. Curly. She really is bare in the front and neck and it is getting so cold. She usually perches alone and I did consider bringing her in to the infirmary but I thought I would share a cute thing I witnessed tonight when they perched for the night. One of my buff orpingtons Goldie is molting too but not as bad. When I went in to do a final critter check, close the chicken door and lube some combs Goldie and Curly were snuggled up together for the night. So cute. These two never really hang out so I thought how sweet they helped each other. Here I would me worrying about Curly being cold and alone on her spot. I just love chickens.

Back
Top Bottom