molting or depressed duck--with a happy ending

Okay I tried to smell the egg but it has no odor. Can you smell a rotten egg through the shell? Are they are really that bad? I know if it gets broken it is horrible.

I have seen pictures online of eggs that look blueish= here is one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=duck...Xa6wHk8fD6BQ&ved=0CAUQrBE4QQ&biw=1024&bih=664

Well that was a lot longer than expected but it's an image on google that shows a duckling hatching. The eggs appear to have the blueish tinge too.
Did you try to candle even if you can't see the duckling moving you should be able to see the air sac.

Did you try to candle even if you can't see the duckling moving you should be able to see the air sac.

I tried to candle, but only one egg. My problem is that if I wait until dark she is on the nest. I don't want to get her upset so I wait until she goes out to eat and take her bath.
When I tried it was during the day but I couldn't see anything. The egg felt heavy and I hope that is a good sign. I will try again, we got our mag-light fixed & maybe that will work. If egg hatching keeps happening in my world I need to buy something that works better.
The one egg I tried I didn't see anything (but it was light outside & I was using a regular flashlight).

Okay, now I am excited. Four out of five eggs have air sacks. I cannot tell about the blue egg, but I will wait a little while before deciding to take it away from her.

I took the chicken eggs from her tonight. I candled them and nothing. One was just put there today so it will be my breakfast in the morning. I don't think the other was there much longer than one day since I never noticed it before.

So I guess I should have ducklings in about a week? Given the mixes it could take longer. I assume that if one hatches she will still sit on the eggs and take care of a baby?

I sure hope this makes her happy again. I know she has not liked being alone. I don't think the chickens really helped her as much as a duckling will (I hope).

ya.gif

Okay I got one baby duckling---she hatched Friday morning. Surprise!
She still has four eggs but I need to take the blue one out. I tried but she is very defensive of her nest right now. It wasn't pretty.
Will post a baby pic later.
thanks for all the support ---- I hope this brings her back to herself, a happy, swimming duck.

There is a happy ending to ducky's story, she hatched one duckling & she is a very good & happy mother. She still has two eggs that she is sitting on. She seems so much better already.
love.gif
and I just simply love this little ball of fluff!!!

Last edited:
No other eggs hatched, I discarded the bad ones yesterday---we ended up with one duckling but as you
can see one is just enough.
Thanks to everyone who listened, advised and cared to help me through this.

one very happy mother and baby:
The end
love.gif

now the rest of the story:

I felt bad for baby to be the only one---so I went to the feed store and picked up a Khaki Campbell duckling who was close in age. . . . it took a few days to introduce and get acceptance but I now I have a happy little duck family.

now the rest of the story:

I felt bad for baby to be the only one---so I went to the feed store and picked up a Khaki Campbell duckling who was close in age. . . . it took a few days to introduce and get acceptance but I now I have a happy little duck family.

That is so sweet, Congrats to all 4 of you!!

Back
Top Bottom