Molting or hiding eggs???

newchicks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 13, 2008
KANSAS
I only have 2 RIR's that just turned up out of thin air at my husbands office. We think they were someones Easter chicks and they dumped them off. So we're thinking they must be about 5-6 months old. They have been laying eggs for about a month. One I think got broody and I took her off her nest for 2 days, and she stopped. But I think she is the one that is molting. I'm seeing some fluffy feathers around and it looks like she is loosing feathers at the base of her neck, it's thinner than the other hen. The other hen I think is the one that's still laying, at least from what I've read that's what makes sense. Do you all think that she is hiding her eggs from me since I took her off her nest, or could it be that she isn't laying because of the molting? I really want to right by the girls they have become very special to all of us, as they appeared the same day as our old horse died. They are fun and fascinating and they have done a wonderful job warming an empty heart.
hmm.png

Many chickens quit laying for awhile during the molt. Many people feed their chicks extra protein (like dry cat food) at this time to help with the feather regrowth. Sounds like they've found a wonderful home with you!! Good Luck!
smile.png

Thank you for the thoughts about the cat food. So is it protein that helps her regrow her feathers? Would eggs also help? Another thanks for the compliment, I try to have a good home for my 2 girls.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom