Molting, or something more serious?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monicaei1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. monicaei1

monicaei1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Hi all!

I have 4 Egyptian Fayoumis hens who have been laying for the last 6-7 months (approx). Laying has decreased dramatically recently, but I understand that is normal for this time of year. The are normally free range all day (6am-roost, when they are locked in). The last week or so we have been getting FLOODING rains in my part of the country so I have been leaving them in the coop to prevent the poop on my patio all day. One of the hens has lost almost all of the feathers on her neck. She looks like a turkey almost. and some of the tail feathers appear to be missing as well. And another seems to be suffering the same fate, but much less severe. How can you tell if this is molting or getting picked on? The coop is a very spacious two story structure, with an adjoining run. Nest boxes, roost, cute little ladder, etc. Seems like plenty of space. I went ahead and added a vitamin mix to their water. Advice? Are they too young to be molting? Is it the fact that they are confined?

thanks
    Monica

2. j.mart.40

j.mart.40 New Egg

Sep 4, 2009
    what is molting, and what make chickens day big eggs.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by