molting & ovulation

Sep 20, 2017
Washington State
Sorry, not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, but here's my question: can a hen still ovulate while molting?

I've read that ovulation stops during a molt, and a few of our chickens that are visibly molting at the moment have indeed stopped laying eggs and their combs and wattles have gone pale. However, we have one hen that is going through a hard molt yet her combs and wattles are still bright red.

Unfortunately this particular hen has salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct/reproductive system), and I've read that one thing that can be done to try to get this condition under control, or at least to slow the decline, is to stop ovulation, either permanently or at least temporarily.

Tiny (that's her name) hasn't laid any eggs for several weeks. She did pass a "lash egg" at least once that looked like it had some yolk in it. With the red comb and wattles, does this indicate that she is still ovulating, despite the molt?

Last edited:
Hens can lay during a molt, tho most don't. My daughter has sexlinks and they never have stopped laying during molting, they slowed down a little, but didn't stop.
But I know nothing about salpingitis. Good luck!

Not sure about red combs during molt....or with a bird with salpingitis.
Generally the red indicates hormone flow at levels for ovulation...but not sure how the salpingitis may play into it. Thought salpingitis was a bacterial infection....so not sure stopping ovulation will 'cure' it, might reduce inflammation tho?

Yes, salpingitis is most often a bacterial infection although it can also be viral. From what I've read, a hen infected with salpingitis is not usually capable of normal egg production, and the egg "ingredients" can end up piling up in her abdominal cavity, causing pressure on internal organs and further infection.

Back
Top Bottom