Molting Hen Is Acting Poorly - Treatment Needed?

May 29, 2019
My 4.5 y/o EE, Darla, is going through a pretty extreme molt. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and always pretty awkward, but is acting even more confused and flustered than usual, and is otherwise very low energy. This is normal for her during molts. However, I noticed the following over the last two days:
  1. Her vent seemed a little messy/drippy. I cleaned it up and I'm treating for vent gleet in case, though I think it could be because her poops have become watery.
  2. Her poops are small and watery. Fecal matter is normal colored but very small, and urates are watery. I've only ever seen this in a hen succumbing to internal laying, but Darla (current hen) doesn't give off those signs. She has no abdominal swelling whatsoever and her crop is emptying normally.
  3. Her comb is still a rosy red, even though she's been molting for the last 5 days or so. No signs of laying activity, though (and she hadn't laid a week or two leading up to her molt, which is normal for her).
  4. She is not interested in food, except being hand fed (but is slow easily spooked by other hens). She will willingly gorge on sunflower seeds. Since last night I've started torpedo feeding her with some vitamins mixed in.
  5. She is still alert and hanging around with her girls, but definitely not herself.
TREATMENT THUS FAR: As of this morning, my flock had their first dose of valbazen. They are also in the middle of treatment with corid because a different hen had been shedding an unusually large amount of red intestinal lining. No other chickens had been showing symptoms, but I treat the flock for good measure. Beyond that, Darla, as of yesterday evening, is getting fed some torpedos and sunflower seeds each day to make sure she's getting some nutrition.

My main question is whether I should put her on antibiotics as a precaution, or if you think I should wait to see how she fares with supplemental feeding and the Valbazen dose. I also am curious if anyone has experienced similar in a molting or non-molting hen, and what diseases/infections it could point to.

Thank you everyone! I can upload pictures over the next day or so, if that's helpful.

My 4.5 y/o EE, Darla, is going through a pretty extreme molt. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and always pretty awkward, but is acting even more confused and flustered than usual, and is otherwise very low energy. This is normal for her during molts. However, I noticed the following over the last two days:
  1. Her vent seemed a little messy/drippy. I cleaned it up and I'm treating for vent gleet in case, though I think it could be because her poops have become watery.
  2. Her poops are small and watery. Fecal matter is normal colored but very small, and urates are watery. I've only ever seen this in a hen succumbing to internal laying, but Darla (current hen) doesn't give off those signs. She has no abdominal swelling whatsoever and her crop is emptying normally.
  3. Her comb is still a rosy red, even though she's been molting for the last 5 days or so. No signs of laying activity, though (and she hadn't laid a week or two leading up to her molt, which is normal for her).
  4. She is not interested in food, except being hand fed (but is slow easily spooked by other hens). She will willingly gorge on sunflower seeds. Since last night I've started torpedo feeding her with some vitamins mixed in.
  5. She is still alert and hanging around with her girls, but definitely not herself.
TREATMENT THUS FAR: As of this morning, my flock had their first dose of valbazen. They are also in the middle of treatment with corid because a different hen had been shedding an unusually large amount of red intestinal lining. No other chickens had been showing symptoms, but I treat the flock for good measure. Beyond that, Darla, as of yesterday evening, is getting fed some torpedos and sunflower seeds each day to make sure she's getting some nutrition.

My main question is whether I should put her on antibiotics as a precaution, or if you think I should wait to see how she fares with supplemental feeding and the Valbazen dose. I also am curious if anyone has experienced similar in a molting or non-molting hen, and what diseases/infections it could point to.

Thank you everyone! I can upload pictures over the next day or so, if that's helpful.
I have a silky hen that acts much like your Darla, with the exception of no vent issues. Since you're already doing above and beyond considering the extra symptoms, I would give it a few days as Corid, deworming, and vent gleet treatments are enough right now for you to wait a few days after you're done with those to note any improvement or lack of anything. The only other thing I do for my hen that gets so weak, skinny, and delirious when she molts is up the protein but those sunflower seeds Darla is wolfing down already have plenty of that. They are also high in Vit. E and Selenium, so with those and the added vitamins, you've covered any vitamin deficiencies going on as well.

I wouldn't try any antibiotics right now as with the vent gleet, those will make it worse. Besides, I'm not seeing anything you're describing that antibiotics would help. Again, I'd give it a few days after you're done with the treatments you're doing to see how she and they all are fairing. That's just with what I've read, but you may have your own reasons.

Stop giving her sunflower seeds or any treats, keep her on high protein feed and fermented feed if you know how to make it. If you want to supplement give her a raw egg yolk no whites.

It's important to do a yearly deworming cause chickens eat all sorts of things.

I have a silky hen that acts much like your Darla, with the exception of no vent issues. Since you're already doing above and beyond considering the extra symptoms, I would give it a few days as Corid, deworming, and vent gleet treatments are enough right now for you to wait a few days after you're done with those to note any improvement or lack of anything. The only other thing I do for my hen that gets so weak, skinny, and delirious when she molts is up the protein but those sunflower seeds Darla is wolfing down already have plenty of that. They are also high in Vit. E and Selenium, so with those and the added vitamins, you've covered any vitamin deficiencies going on as well.

I wouldn't try any antibiotics right now as with the vent gleet, those will make it worse. Besides, I'm not seeing anything you're describing that antibiotics would help. Again, I'd give it a few days after you're done with the treatments you're doing to see how she and they all are fairing. That's just with what I've read, but you may have your own reasons.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough post--this is just what I needed to hear. I'll continue with the treatment, including extra sunflower seeds and keep a close eye on Darla for any new/worsening symptoms. Today she seemed a bit brighter and more open to pecking at her crumbles when I put some on the ground (for some reason she prefers this to her normal chicken feeders right now). I'll check her crop and give her some torpedos this evening if needed.

I agree it may be early for antibiotics. I always worry I won't act fast enough and miss something--but at the same time, you're right that there really aren't specific signs indicating antibiotics are needed at this time. Hopefully she'll be on the up and up soon.

All my best to you and your flock! Hope your silky is hanging in there, too. Molts can be so rough on chickens (and their keepers lol)!

Cut out the seeds, they offer little nutrition and a lot of fat. She needs higher protein during this time, feeding her seeds is akin to feeding a sick child cheetos because that's the only thing his spoiled butt will eat.
She feels lousy right now.
Scrambled or boiled eggs are easy, tuna, cat food, meat etc. Nutridrench or other vitamins will help.
What until she's done molting to worm.

Cut out the seeds, they offer little nutrition and a lot of fat. She needs higher protein during this time, feeding her seeds is akin to feeding a sick child cheetos because that's the only thing his spoiled butt will eat.
She feels lousy right now.
Scrambled or boiled eggs are easy, tuna, cat food, meat etc. Nutridrench or other vitamins will help.
What until she's done molting to worm.
Thanks! The dewormer is already in their systems unfortunately. But they are overdue for it and it'll hopefully help (valbazen was used, so it shouldn't interfere with their molt).

I'll try adding eggs or tuna to her diet. She's tough right now and avoiding any kinds of food I try to give her save small amounts of feed on the ground for some reason. I'll keep torpedo feeding, too. The BOSS is, from what I understand, a healthy snack for molting chickens because it's high in protein, healthy fats (omega 3s), and vitamin e/selenium.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough post--this is just what I needed to hear. I'll continue with the treatment, including extra sunflower seeds and keep a close eye on Darla for any new/worsening symptoms. Today she seemed a bit brighter and more open to pecking at her crumbles when I put some on the ground (for some reason she prefers this to her normal chicken feeders right now). I'll check her crop and give her some torpedos this evening if needed.

I agree it may be early for antibiotics. I always worry I won't act fast enough and miss something--but at the same time, you're right that there really aren't specific signs indicating antibiotics are needed at this time. Hopefully she'll be on the up and up soon.

All my best to you and your flock! Hope your silky is hanging in there, too. Molts can be so rough on chickens (and their keepers lol)!
This is her poop today. It's a little better than yesterday.
20231015_163032.jpg

Thanks! The dewormer is already in their systems unfortunately. But they are overdue for it and it'll hopefully help (valbazen was used, so it shouldn't interfere with their molt).

I'll try adding eggs or tuna to her diet. She's tough right now and avoiding any kinds of food I try to give her save small amounts of feed on the ground for some reason. I'll keep torpedo feeding, too. The BOSS is, from what I understand, a healthy snack for molting chickens because it's high in protein, healthy fats (omega 3s), and vitamin e/selenium.
The BOSS are a healthy snack, if kept to just a snack, but with a sick chicken, a few more aren't going to make her fat and she probably could use it. They're also a preventative for wry neck, and we have silkies who are prone to it. Fatty yes, but these chickens sure aren't fat considering they get tons of them free-ranging. Everything in moderation. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom