Molting hen sleeping all day.

Following since I'm experiencing a similar issue with a molting 1.5 yo hen. Molting, avoidance, lots of water with watery diarrhea but it's been over 103 degrees for 2 weeks.
Is she sleeping a lot during the day? That is my main issue, although both are a bit better today.

Is she sleeping a lot during the day? That is my main issue, although both are a bit better today.
She is def resting most of the day under my orange tree in cool soil but not necessarily sleeping. I'm just worried that I'm missing something but it may just be the early molt. She doesn't seem to be eating as much but could just be avoiding the other girls since she's low on the pecking order:idunno

Molt can sometimes set up a vicious cycle.

Firstly, molt can wreck appetite and after not eating enough over several weeks, energy reserves take a dive. The result is lack of energy at best and starvation at worst. The outward symptom of the latter is extreme lethargy and the chicken often sleeps a lot.

When you see that and have pretty much ruled out pathological causes, you may assume low glucose from starvation. If you give the affected chicken a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in, it can cause an amazing rebound effect as the glucose levels rise back up into normal range. This in turn stimulates appetite and the chicken usually begins eating again and shows more energy.

If nothing improves with the sugar water, and especially if the chicken gets worse, it may be there is an infection or something worse going on.

During molt, I feed canned mackerel or equivalent animal protein once a week during molt to the entire flock. It keeps energy levels high and helps molt progress much more efficiently.

She is def resting most of the day under my orange tree in cool soil but not necessarily sleeping. I'm just worried that I'm missing something but it may just be the early molt. She doesn't seem to be eating as much but could just be avoiding the other girls since she's low on the pecking order:idunno
Check her temperature also to rule out infection. Normal temperature range for hens is 40-42 degrees Celsius. Thermometer inserted about 1-2cms into vent. Maybe put her in a dog crate and take her inside for a few days for some extra TLC. Mine are both in crates in the spare room. I let them out in the morning with the others and I take them back inside again when they start to look miserable. Good vitamin B Complex drops or a molt support tonic might help with energy but yeah the sugar water will prob have the quickest effect. Trying this on my girls tomorrow as appetites have gone downhill since.

I noticed that you mentioned this is the first adult molt for at least one of your birds. My alpha, Butterfly, a Salmon Faverolles, molts hard - every year (she’s five now). She eats and drinks normally, but her poop gets runny and she sleeps a lot during the day. I also have birds who won’t come when I call (Puff and Robbie), refuse treats (they get a small amount of mealworms, BOSS, or suet balls when they come in from foraging), or try to sleep in the nest box instead of on the roost (Dale and Robbie). It’s always the same for each of these girls, during the molt their personality changes. Dominant girls get docile, everyone is crabby, and they either won’t get on or won’t get off my lap.

My girls are otherwise healthy and happy, but during the molt, their world gets turned upside down. Hope that’s all it is for your girls.

Back
Top Bottom